Honored Contributor

What kinds of gardening gloves do you use?

When Spring finally does come, I need to do some trimming around our front porch. The problem is that we have barberry bushes and even with gloves on, they stick into my skin. Could anyone suggest a gardening glove that will protect my hands?

Honored Contributor

Re: What kinds of gardening gloves do you use?

Yes, try looking for rose gloves that come beyond the wrist and are mid forearm. I received a pair of leather gloves from Womenswork for Christmas. I haven't used them yet.

My old pair of rose gloves have some tears at the finger tips from when I was a little aggressive with the hand clipper.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

X

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I bought these over the winter. I havent tried them yet but the reviews are good. Costco had similar ones last week.

I have only roses (and weeds) so i hope these work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DN7FAOI/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Yes, try looking for rose gloves that come beyond the wrist and are mid forearm. I received a pair of leather gloves from Womenswork for Christmas. I haven't used them yet.

My old pair of rose gloves have some tears at the finger tips from when I was a little aggressive with the hand clipper.

Link to the gloves I purchased.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

When I do basic gardening (weeding, transplanting) I wear the gloves from Home Depot that they sell in the shovel sectio. They have a rubberized base and fingers. I go through maybe 10 pairs during a season. When they get muddy, I toss them so it does not ruin my nails. These are inexpensive gloves!

I also have a Barberry bush that I like. When I trim this one or my knockout roses, I wear (men's) heavy leather gloves that last forever. I think I bought them in a 2 or 3 pack at Sam's several years ago. I have used the basic gloves, but always get a thorn stick at least once.

Esteemed Contributor

I bought a pair many years ago from the Q that were make specifically for a woman's hands. They are still wearable but they are no longer on the Q for some odd reason because they were best sellers and I haven't seen them anymore. The hand portion had nonslip dots, you could pick up a dime with them, they were fitted to your hand and they're washable. They really fit the bill but I don't know how many more seasons I will get out of them.
Respected Contributor

I like gauntlet-style gloves. The leather ones are the most expensive, man-made materials are cheaper. I use just about every kind of glove made. Use them up and toss them when they are shot. I think it's important to use gloves.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I use Rubbermain rubber gloves to the elbow. I've given up on the others.

Respected Contributor

I use the heavier cotton gloves and sometimes two pairs when I am trimming my roses.