Trusted Contributor

What kind of drill do you use for bulb planting?

My mother passed away this past June and has always kept the gardens around here. I've ordered Spring-blooming bulbs and am wondering what kind of drill and auger do you use? What brands?I ordered LOTS of bulbs, perhaps too many...those catalogs really lure you into planting. I know that I have another month to wait but want to get everything ready.

Thank you in advance, I live in N.C. PA.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What kind of drill do you use for bulb planting?

@wishmoon  I just use a strong narrow trowel. I've had it forever and can't remember where I got it. Never had a drill. Different bulbs need to be planted at different depths, so the trowel works for me.

Respected Contributor

@wishmoon - I usually dig a trough and put in a bunch at a time.  I like a naturalized look and also this way I can plant a lot of bulbs more quickly.  Good luck - bulbs give a great bang for the buck-enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much for your replies. I hope to share pictures in the Spring!

Respected Contributor

@wishmoon 

To make certain that your bulbs flower next Spring, please read up on how to thwart squirrels and other hungry critters from digging them up to eat.  I lost a lot of bulbs !

You can tell if a squirrel has eaten a daffodil bulb: they seem to act "drunk".....    

Protect your money and time investment!

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

I also use a trowel.

When I began gardening ten years ago or so, I planted a lot of bulbs and used, first, a DIBBER

Dibber.PNG

and, then, a BULB PLANTER.

Bulb Planter.PNG

Both were difficult to press into the stony and choked-by-roots soil we have here.  So a trowel works best.  [If your soil is like that used by QVC in its planting demonstrations, the dibber and bulb planter would work perfectly.]

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr , I use the second one.  LM

Honored Contributor

Wishmoon - I never used a drill. I just did alot of digging by hand. The soil here has alot of clay, I think I would have burned up a drill. Maybe you are using a powerful drill that could handle it. Not sure what type of soil you have in NC.

I am so glad when we bought this house, I planted lots of bulbs. I was young and full of energy and ideas. Now I am enjoying every spring when the flowers all bloom.

Glad you are planning now. You never have too many bulbs. 

Respected Contributor

I used to use the 2nd one, when I lived up north.
Trusted Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

Wishmoon - I never used a drill. I just did alot of digging by hand. The soil here has alot of clay, I think I would have burned up a drill. Maybe you are using a powerful drill that could handle it. Not sure what type of soil you have in NC.

I am so glad when we bought this house, I planted lots of bulbs. I was young and full of energy and ideas. Now I am enjoying every spring when the flowers all bloom.

Glad you are planning now. You never have too many bulbs. 

Actually, I live in North-Central PA and have ordered a LOT of bulbs! I'll tell you in Nov, when I finish planting them if you can have too many bulbs! Woman Wink

Thank you everyone for your responses.