Honored Contributor

What kills crabgrass but not Iris?

We haven't been weeding this year like normal, physical issues for both of us.  So the crabgrass is choking the Iris bed.  What can we buy for this?

Honored Contributor

Re: What kills crabgrass but not Iris?

I feel your pain. Wish i knew the answer.

I lost much of my iris bed because of pachysandra. The pachysandra took over and I only had one iris bloom this year. I ripped out lots of the pachysandra in April and May. And it is creeping back into the iris bed.

Not sure what bulbs can withstand if you put down weed killer. We have a local store that handles just about everything pertaining to yard and gardens. Maybe someone at your local store will be able to help you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Look for a product containing sethoxydim.  Fertilome is one brand.  Check with your home depot to see if they have it in stock.

One of the problems with grass in the iris bed is that the roots get under the rizome and then get tangled together.  You can try and pull grass out but it gets under the plant and  comes back.

This year grass has taken over most of my iris beds.  I'm in the process of taking all the iris out, cleaning out the dirt and adding compost, then separating the iris and replanting.  It's a ton of work but it has to be done.

I also try to edge around the beds each year.  I have borders around the plants but the grass roots grow underneath and spring up in the iris beds.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass 

I volunteer at a garden that has both crabgrass and bermuda grass . It is such a chore. We had a lrge bed of Iris and we had to hand dig up all the Iris ,

the same  process as @Scooby Doo  detailed below .

We tried the salt & vinegar  spray that did not work. I've tried  two different  store bought products.  I was told to buy a product on Amazon that helps keep the weed killer attached to the crabgrass longer called Concentrated Surfactant for herbicides , non toxic  which  helps store bought herbicides  penetrate the weed more effectively, and increase  product coverage . You still need to buy a herbicide

If you can hire a local teen , have them saturate the  area then a garden  pitch fork and shovel that is angled that sides are like blades ( I bought one from QVC)   may help  get the Iris out then go and spray the area to kill the weeds.