Esteemed Contributor

For me, I think I have 3 cash crops. Tomatoes, obviously; green beans, and kale. They sustain us pretty much throughout the summer. I don't consider zucchini a cash crop, because they can fall prey to the zucchini bugs and suddenly die. Also, they are a feast or famine veggie for me. You either have 5 or 10, or you have none in any given week. How about you?

Honored Contributor

Re: What is your "cash crop?"

My herbs for sure. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

@jaxs mom

I see what you are saying about the herbs. It's funny, though. I seem to only use the basil, parsley and dill in the summer - I guess because the basil and dill will die? But, I don't even begin to think about the rosemary, thyme and sage until the fall.

Honored Contributor

Herbs are so expensive in the store. I grow mint, tarragon, sage, thyme, chives and oregano. Cilantro also but that's cheap in the store. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I grow all types of sweet and hot peppers.  What I don't use now will be frozen to be used in dishes the rest of the year.  I also do cucumbers, radishes, and squash.  Recently, I cannot seem to get enough of cucumbers and radishes dipped in buttermilk ranch dressing.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

For me, I think I have 3 cash crops. Tomatoes, obviously; green beans, and kale. They sustain us pretty much throughout the summer. I don't consider zucchini a cash crop, because they can fall prey to the zucchini bugs and suddenly die. Also, they are a feast or famine veggie for me. You either have 5 or 10, or you have none in any given week. How about you?

@PA Mom-mom  Tomatoes, about ten varieties of chil peppers, I slice and freeze these, tons of basil which I freeze to use until the following summer, eggplant, Italian green beans, cucumbers, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, boysenberries, and  lettuces.  I always have rosemary, several types of thyme, mint, and oregano as they are perennials here.  

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl

Wow! You are a busy lady! What method do you use to freeze your basil?

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@mousiegirl

Wow! You are a busy lady! What method do you use to freeze your basil?

@PA Mom-mom  I puree the basil leaves in extra virgin olive oil, then put it in small containers or baggies to freeze.  Basil grows so fast and big, I get enough to last a year.  I also use it fresh during the summer.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl

Thanks for the info. Every time I try to preserve the basil, it ends up tasting like nothing. I will try this method. Maybe I'll freeze it in ice cube trays and then put it in baggies.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@mousiegirl

Thanks for the info. Every time I try to preserve the basil, it ends up tasting like nothing. I will try this method. Maybe I'll freeze it in ice cube trays and then put it in baggies.

@PA Mom-mom  Once it is thawed and added to whatever, it will taste better due to salt, etc. being added.  I don't add salt when freezing, just the oil. Smiley Happy