Esteemed Contributor

What is your favorite backyard bird?

[ Edited ]

There are so many of us from different areas of our country, so I'm curious what your favorite bird is that visits your backyard. We have a lot of different varieties in the Midwest, but my favorite is the little Chickadee. I love listening to their "Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy" chirps and the way they flit in and out of the feeders. When they fly off, their flight looks like a wave - up and down. They're so tiny and sweet....always busy at the feeders, and are here daily no matter what season it is, and always fun to watch! What is your favorite?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is your favorite backyard bird?

hummingbird.....

Honored Contributor

I love all the back yard birds.  If I have to pick one, it is the red cardinal .  I always recognize its chirp.  In fact all the birds have lovely songs and sweet chirps and they are always welcome in my yard!!!!!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

in the spring Robins

n the summer Hummingbirds

in the winter Cardinals

in the fall they are all here

Respected Contributor

I love all birds and know many of their calls.

I like the colorful and noisy blue jays, the pretty family-oriented cardinals, and the gentle morning doves.

I watch out for the far-seeing hawks and their hunting cries.

In my home I have a cage of parakeets and they sing to the television!

Esteemed Contributor

I don’t know their name but they have beautiful yellow belly’s. 

Valued Contributor

I am always happy to see any bird in our yard.  Love seeing nests and sometimes getting to see a baby bird being fed, like happened this morning.  I do have a soft spot for hummingbirds and doves.

Honored Contributor

This spring we have had a lot of cardinals stick around for spring and summer.....there is at least one nest in the thick bushes by our bedroom window and I love hearing their distinctive song in the morning. They always remind me of my mother; she loved cardinals.  Bluejays are so loud and mean....they divebomb our cat and the neighbor's cat who hides under our patio table to try and get away. We have several mourning doves that I love to hear coo in the early mornings and dusk....which is the only time we can be out on our patio due to the heat now. Have had several red-tailed hawks perch on our back fence...huge and majestic-looking....but they are eyeing people's pets...haven't seen a hummingbird here in years. I don't put out feeders for them; attracted too many bees.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1  I can't pick one. The black capped chickadee, tufted titmouse, nuthatches and juncos are only here in the winter, but I love to see them arrive because I then know winter has arrived. I guess I would say the goldfinches, because they are so welcome in the spring. You can see them turn color as the days progress. We have cardinals here all year round, and I love the color, but I guess it has to be the goldfinches. Or maybe... the juncos? Aarghh!

Super Contributor

At my home in South Jersey I like watching the goldfinches and all different types of woodpeckers.  I get many other birds.  When I visit the Carolinas I see a lot of Bluebirds and Scarlet Tangier's.