Honored Contributor

@spot555  No it isn’t, an internet photo. I used to have one & changed it out for a more shade loving plant — ‘Pistachio’ hydrangea.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

I'm not sure if this is it, but.....

Go to the site "Plants by Mail", & search for Nandina "Obssession".  It's an evergreen, & this particular variety has the red color more often throughout the year. I bought one last summer....grows fairly fast, is more compact than other Nandina's, & I love it!

Smiley Happy

I love my nandina's also.  I have a lot of them - different varities.

I'll have to look up that "Obssession".  That may be one if don't have. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom , will you post a photo of Pistashio?  TIA.

Sorry OP, off topic!  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: What is this shrub?

[ Edited ]

Will do @Lilysmom  when I get onto the desktop. I think I photographed in bloom one or two years ago. It doesn’t get too large (mine is about 2’ X 2’).

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom , I bought a baby one at a clearance.  I think I paid $5 for it.  It has had good growth and nice foliage but no flowers yet.  Interested to see yours.  

I did about three hours of yard work today, in some cases moving chunks of ice to get at grasses to cut back 🙄.  It was 6C (42 F) today.  LM

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@spot555  No it isn’t, an internet photo. I used to have one & changed it out for a more shade loving plant — ‘Pistachio’ hydrangea.

I have that hydrangea....that's one sturdy/beautiful plant!  Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom 

Here is the plant (I believe I took this the 1st year [August, 2014] in bloom) and a close up of a bloom.

Hydrangea 'Pistachio'.JPG

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Pistachio'.JPG

Taken between June & July 2015.

Respected Contributor

My pistachio bloom is a very deep rose color with a bluish throat & some lime green. When I use Espoma Plant Tone fertilizer, the colors pink & red get really intense. It even made one of my deep purple hydrageas a deep rose color. It was gorgeous, but I wanted the purple for variety. Last spring/summer I used a different fertilizer, so this should be a color-transition year.....can't wait to see what I get. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom @spot555 , lovely, thank you!  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spot555 wrote:

My pistachio bloom is a very deep rose color with a bluish throat & some lime green. When I use Espoma Plant Tone fertilizer, the colors pink & red get really intense. It even made one of my deep purple hydrageas a deep rose color. It was gorgeous, but I wanted the purple for variety. Last spring/summer I used a different fertilizer, so this should be a color-transition year.....can't wait to see what I get. Smiley Happy

I like the lime green in the bloom. Interestingly this plant in the UK is called. Glam Rock. This plant is supposedly not sensitive to pH changes in the soil. I fertilize my shrubs in April with the same fertilizer you use.