Trusted Contributor

I only know them as "red tips" so I've learned the name "photinia"

I have around 10-12 of them.  They are very hardy here in Texas.

Planted in full sun and they get very bright red.  So pretty.

Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom  They are stunning! No wonder I'm not familiar with them in Zone 5-b. Dang, they would never survive out wicked winters. Thanks for the education. I'll check Photinia out further on the internet.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Super Contributor

Sorry I do not have a photo.  I saw these on the highway in North Carolina and they are beautiful.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm going to look some of these up and see if that is what I saw.  It was a line of shrubs and it appeared that the leaves had been green but had turned a deep red.  Thanks again for any and all suggestions.

Super Contributor

I think it could be the Photinia.  Are they hard to grow? How long do they have the red leaves?  Thank you for any information you may have.

Honored Contributor

@toril  That could also be 'burning bush' or Euonymous alata.Image result for burning bush shrub

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is this shrub?

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom @toril et al I doubt it is burning bush.  Burning bush turns red in the Fall, not the Spring.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Here's a note I came across online re: Burning Bush -The sale and importation are prohibited in Massachusetts & New Hampshire as it is found to be invasive.

Honored Contributor

Re: What is this shrub?

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  Oops missed that tidbit! 

@riley1  & yes in certain states it is invasive. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I'm not sure if this is it, but.....

Go to the site "Plants by Mail", & search for Nandina "Obssession".  It's an evergreen, & this particular variety has the red color more often throughout the year. I bought one last summer....grows fairly fast, is more compact than other Nandina's, & I love it!

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@toril  That could also be 'burning bush' or Euonymous alata.Image result for burning bush shrub

Jazz....is this your bush? It's spectacular.  Heart