Trusted Contributor

What is the bleach solution I should use?

I posted earlier about having blight in my container tomatoes last year and was told to use a weak bleach solution.  What ratio of bleach to water should I use?

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Honored Contributor

Re: What is the bleach solution I should use?

Apparently instructions are on the bottle.

https://www.clorox.com/products/clorox-performance-bleach-with-cloromax/?gclid=7f5ad4394c291380f014b...Generic|KW|Disinfectant|Exact&utm_content=Generic|Bleach&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=bing&utm_term=bleach%20as%20a%20disinfectant

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wismiss  I use a 10 percent bleach solution with some dish soap and a scrub brush. Then I make sure I clean off all the bleach and soap and dry out the pots in the sun for the day.

ETA: I'm assuming you are using clay pots. If you are using another material, you should check the internet.

New Contributor

I try not to use bleach as so many of my clothes are coloured. However, I do use them on occasions. I just prefer avoiding them as much as possible. The only time I use them is when I have worrying stains on my clothes.

Valued Contributor

What are you using the bleach on?

I will use a weak vinegar and water solution for mildew on the leaves and stalks. I always have to google this recipe as I forget. 

Your local agricultural extension service could have more information for you regarding blight on your plants and maybe recommend hardier ones that won't be affected.