Respected Contributor

What causes brown petals on mr.lincoln?

This is the 2nd rose that has crisp, brown edges on the rose petals. I searched petal by petal for trips, and not seeing anything. The bush looks great, growing nicely, with rich green leaves. First I thought it needed a good watering due to high temps here. So yesterday I watered well in morning, then we got some rain, and temps are lower. I also rinsed This rose off, thinking it looked dehydrated. This morning the rose looked worse, so I clipped it off. The other rose bushes don't have this, but this just started on 2 new blooms on mr.lincoln. It's been fertilized a couple weeks ago, with miracle grow for roses, and nothing but water since. Hope this isn't going to be a problem...i can't figure what the cause is. Any clue??
Contributor

Re: What causes brown petals on mr.lincoln?

Could be overwatering.

Honored Contributor

Mr. Lincoln is one of my favorite roses. Blossoms form long before they open, so it's entirely possible there was an issue (water, temperature, etc.) while those blossoms were forming that caused the brown edges on the blooms once they opened. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Ok thanks...theres a new bud forming, so far it looks big and healthy...ill see how that goes.
Valued Contributor

Probably water or the rain.  Roses should be watered at the ground, don't spray them unless the sun is shining.

Respected Contributor

Another bloom opened...looks alot better, only two of the petal tips brown.   Even though we had a dry spell, none of the others have it.  Anyway, I'm watering as needed, and glad its doing better.  

@gardenman wrote:

Mr. Lincoln is one of my favorite roses. Blossoms form long before they open, so it's entirely possible there was an issue (water, temperature, etc.) while those blossoms were forming that caused the brown edges on the blooms once they opened.