Esteemed Contributor

These are growing in a pot that I planted a few weeks ago containing lily bulbs. They were tiny at first and now they are as big as this picture. I suspected mushrooms, but am unable to locate anything that resembles these on line. Anyone have a clue? TIA Heartmushroom.jpg

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

Re: What On Earth Are These?

I wouls say some sort of fungus for sure. I've seen so many around my yard because I'm afraid my dogs will eat one and get sick. One of Dwayne Johnson's (The Rock) puppies  ate a mushroom and died a few years ago. 

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep  That is unusual. I am curious to find out what it is also. It almost looks like something hatched from it.

Respected Contributor

@tiny 2You mean like snake eggs?  Nifty!

Frequent Contributor

twopeas, google>  Peziza vesiculosa computer

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

These are growing in a pot that I planted a few weeks ago containing lily bulbs. They were tiny at first and now they are as big as this picture. I suspected mushrooms, but am unable to locate anything that resembles these on line. Anyone have a clue? TIA Heartmushroom.jpg

Definintly a fungus, get rid of it!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

@pattypeep 

Kinda do look like snake eggs. Yuk!

A7629EE9-0E1D-4401-99FF-AA16CD4C37D9.jpeg

Honored Contributor

They are aliens and obviously they have hatched.  Woman Surprised  Woman Very Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@leeleeB wrote:

twopeas, google>  Peziza vesiculosa computer

@leeleeBAnd.......we have a winner. Thank you, @leeleeB My dh and I brought in bags of compost and I added compost to this pot, so we believe these are from the compost. We don't have any in our yard, thank goodness, as we have furbabies.Thanks again !! Smiley Happy

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

Interesting.............you're lucky that's all it is.   Years ago my Aunt had an enclosed porch - and bought a bag of dirt (of some kind) for her rose garden.  Opened the bag - returned to porch later and found a snake slithering around the floor.

I've always been cautious about garden soil ever since.