Esteemed Contributor

What Caught Your Eye in the Seed Catalogs?

I always receive the Burpee catalog, but now I also get the Territorial catalog:2020-Catalog_532x.png

The cover is so cute, and TRUE! Each year I dream of the great vegetable I'm going to grow. It only works out occasionally Smiley Frustrated I want to try some new herbs and tomatoes this year. Most of all, I need to protect the tomatoes from the deer and squirrels..

Honored Contributor

Re: What Caught Your Eye in the Seed Catalogs?

[ Edited ]

Just when the veggies are ripe 'n ready in our garden.... squirrels come shopping.  We have tried cages to catch and release to the forest.   They are like Cirque du Soleil trying to climb the pole to the bird food...the acrobatic performance is daring.  We have caught them on camera at night.  Had to cut down all vines any where near the feeder pole.  I've had them sit in the garden munching on tomatoes not far from us sitting on the porch!

Have fun with the catalogue....fun to dream!

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd  When we had a large garden, we used a battery operated electric fence, placed at 4 inches and 8 inches in height. But we have reduced our garden to our patio, and the animals feel free to graze.

Trusted Contributor

Getting lots of garden catalogues and loving it.  I'm not big on seeds, but I have good luck buying bare roots.  Since our garden is somewhat small, I usually buy a couple of tomato and pepper plants and direct-seed the rest.

I was late seeding the winter veggies, but they are starting to come up now.  Should have sugar snap peas, spinace, 3 kinds of lettuce and green onions soon.

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely nothing. I’m recycling the catalogs as fast as they come in...and they have been coming! I may be sorry later I that I missed deals (free shipping, discounts, etc.); but with the small gardening plans I have this year, I’ll be happy with local offerings. 

But the rest of you...have fun!

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@esmerelda My garden has moved to my patio, but I love to see the new offerings. There might be a tomato or herb that catches my eye. I usually send most of the catalogs to the recycle bin, but a few stay around for recreational reading and new ideas.

Honored Contributor

I'm trying some of the new begonias this year. I've got seeds for both Funky Scarlett and Fiona Red. I started the seeds this past week. (Begonia seeds are very small and take forever to grow.) I'm also trying some of the double impatiens. I have one more group of seeds to order that will include purple wave petunias. I want to try weaving them through the porch railings this year.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman Love your idea about weaving the petunias through the porch railings! Post pictures if you can. Those begonia colors sound interesting. Funky Scarlett! Hahaha!

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@gardenman Love your idea about weaving the petunias through the porch railings! Post pictures if you can. Those begonia colors sound interesting. Funky Scarlett! Hahaha!

I think the Purple Wave petunias will work well in that role. They get 3-4 feet long and flower prolifically, so they should work out pretty well. I used thunbergias last year but they lack the impact of the petunias.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   I make my own Pumpkin puree, so I ordered pumpkin seeds called Galeuse D'Eysines, Blue doll Hybrid my favorite, and Porcelain Doll Hybrid. I also ordered some other types of squash.