Honored Contributor

Re: Went with Vinca instead of Impatiens.....

I could be dreaming since I haven't planted it for years, but seems that I was told Vinca should not be planted in the same spot consecutive years.  @JustJazzmom ? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@I could be dreaming since I haven't planted it for years, but seems that I was told Vinca should not be planted in the same spot consecutive years.  @JustJazzmom

Sorry, just seeing this now. Never heard that. The only thing I can think of is maybe people thought certain nutrients might be depleted planting the same plant in same spot year after year?

Vinca is being chosen because of the impatiens fungal problem which from what I hear is over in our area (LI) but stores are still not selling regular impatiens but New Guinea ones.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

There are fungal diseases that attack annual vinca. Stem blight, root rot are the common names, but the scientific name is phytophthora parasitica. If you have a fungal issue with vinca in a spot one year, you'd be wise to either skip vinca the next year or two, or plant it in a different location. If you had no health issues you can replant it in the same spot.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

We grew Vinca vine in our window boxes a few years ago, along with Geraniums & Alyssum too. The Vinca vine trailed several feet to the ground over that Summer . They  survived over the Winter & started growing again the next Spring ! They grew all over the ground below the windowboxes, along the foundation that year. We left them as a ground cover, because they crowded out any weeds. Also, it's  a pretty variegated vine in the landscape imho.  It's been several years now , and they're growing again this Spring . We live in New England and get snow every Winter , so the Vinca are surviving freezing temps like a perennial. Also, the side of the house where they're growing , receives morning sun and afternoon shade . Hope any of this information helps you. Good luck . 

Honored Contributor

@blueskies Your trailing vinca is not the same vinca as the annual. 

Both have periwinkle shaped flowers but the trailing one is either Vinca major (larger leaves) or Vinca minor (smaller leaves) with bluish purple flowers.

The annual vinca is called Catharanthus rosea or Madagascar periwinkle.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Occasional Contributor

Is it safe to plant impatiens yet?  They had that disease a couple of years ago.  Supposedly, if they are planted with that disease, the ground is tainted with the disease forever.  

Honored Contributor

@pennstatediva wrote:

Is it safe to plant impatiens yet?  They had that disease a couple of years ago.  Supposedly, if they are planted with that disease, the ground is tainted with the disease forever.  

I've planted them forever with no trouble, but I typically grow my own, so there's no greenhouse diseases passed down. I believe the issue has been wiped out in the big growing houses so things should be pretty safe these days.

The big commercial growers use automated equipment almost every step of the way and grow the plants in very close proximity, so it's easy for problems to spread from plant to plant. There are commercial plug trays that hold 512 seedlings per tray, so plants get started in a very cramped space then transplanted by robots and if the first plant the robot touches has an issue, it spreads it to every other one it touches.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We planted vincas in a pot in front of our house in the shade a few years ago. When we left for the summer we left them in the care of our neighbor because they were too pretty to pull out , and she said leave them.When we came home in the fall they were everywhere. Our front yard - hers and even across the street. Apparently the heavy summer rains had spread the seeds from ours all around the area. Add the florida sun & rain and - viola - jungle. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

Based on your picture I bought some red and white vinca to put in a pot on my patio to see how they do in our rainy weather and short growing season in the PNW.    

Respected Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

@Carmie

Based on your picture I bought some red and white vinca to put in a pot on my patio to see how they do in our rainy weather and short growing season in the PNW.    

The picture Carmie posted is not vinca.

Vinca grows well in pots but it likes sun.