Esteemed Contributor

Tomorrow is Canada Day.  It seems like it has been raining since April.  Thursday, I went to help a friend who had open heart surgery two months ago.  

I was weeding her garden and it was a dark cloudy morning.  For some reason, there is no mulch in her garden at all.  She is an experienced gardener and taught me a lot when I started gardening.  The weeds were so hard to get out.

Long story short, I got about an hour of weeding done and the thunder and lightning started, big claps of thunder that shook the earth.  I called it a day.

Today, three days later, it is still raining and it hasn’t really stopped much all weekend.  I spent a couple of hours in the heavy mist weeding my own garden.  I made some good headway, careful to avoid plant roots.

What happened to the sun?  East Coast US must be the same.  I know heat is bad in places but I could take some of that right about now.  I feel bad for all the working people.  The weekend was a complete bust.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I planted 12 moonbeam coreposis today. Then the thunderstorms came.  Hopefully they will thrive. All week long are supposed to be thunderstorms.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  Well, the good news is weeding is much easier after a rain! Just don't step in the mud! Hahahaha!

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

Tomorrow is Canada Day.  It seems like it has been raining since April.  Thursday, I went to help a friend who had open heart surgery two months ago.  

I was weeding her garden and it was a dark cloudy morning.  For some reason, there is no mulch in her garden at all.  She is an experienced gardener and taught me a lot when I started gardening.  The weeds were so hard to get out.

Long story short, I got about an hour of weeding done and the thunder and lightning started, big claps of thunder that shook the earth.  I called it a day.

Today, three days later, it is still raining and it hasn’t really stopped much all weekend.  I spent a couple of hours in the heavy mist weeding my own garden.  I made some good headway, careful to avoid plant roots.

What happened to the sun?  East Coast US must be the same.  I know heat is bad in places but I could take some of that right about now.  I feel bad for all the working people.  The weekend was a complete bust.  LM

@Lilysmom   The weeds in your friend's garden will be easier to pull after the rain. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weeding in the rain...

[ Edited ]

@Mary Bailey , one of the first flowers in my garden was yellow coreopsis, aka moonbeam.  I shared that so much, it is all over my community.  It is all but gone now and yesterday I bought an orange one to plant.  Just love them!

The silver lining is that I never had to water much this Spring, either new plantings or ones I moved.  The temps are in the 60’s over the weekend.  Come on, right???  LM

PS, Mary, post a photo!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Weeding in the rain...

[ Edited ]

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Lilysmom  Well, the good news is weeding is much easier after a rain! Just don't step in the mud! Hahahaha!

@PA Mom-mom @mousiegirl This is true!  Should be a breeze to orrow🙄.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@PA Mom-mom @mousiegirl This is true!  Should be a breeze to orrow🙄.  LM

@Lilysmom   Due to lack of rain, when the ground dries, I have to water the areas I want to weed or plant.

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl , wow must be dry!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom   Not a complete bust....what a loving gesture to visit and help your friend.  The sun will shine again.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl , wow must be dry!  LM

@Lilysmom   Yes, California is basically a dessert, though if we are lucky we have years between draughts.  In some areas on my property the ground is so dry it is cracked, but after heavy rains, it is like quicksand, lol.