Honored Contributor

I am not having very good luck with battery ones ,bought a black and decker two years ago, the batter died costs as much al most to but new battery ,so i went to home depot ,bought a ryboi this summer, came time to change line , three people have tried ,can not be done ,taking back ,hope i will get money back .

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I was going to buy a Ryboi one time.  The salesman warned me about replacing the line for that brand.  Can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something about having to buy their spools and their not interchangeable.  He told me it would cost more money in the long run.

I have both a battery B&D and an electric B&D.  I find that the battery one is not powerful enough and runs out of juice too soon.  I only use the battery one for quick jobs.  I don't like tugging the cord all over the yard, but it works best.

I considered a gas one, but they're too heavy for me.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I was going to buy a Ryboi one time.  The salesman warned me about replacing the line for that brand.  Can't remember exactly what he said, but it was something about having to buy their spools and their not interchangeable.  He told me it would cost more money in the long run.

I have both a battery B&D and an electric B&D.  I find that the battery one is not powerful enough and runs out of juice too soon.  I only use the battery one for quick jobs.  I don't like tugging the cord all over the yard, but it works best.

I considered a gas one, but they're too heavy for me.

I don't think i am strong enough for a gas model, but i can't keep buying battery ones.Not cheap.

Esteemed Contributor

Can put a man on the moon but they can't design a WW that works.  Either the string breaks just as you get going - battey putters out - electric ones you walk too far and pop...... the cord pulls out of the socket ...the gas models burn oil and chokes your lungs in he fumes.  We need someone like Dyson man to redesign a whole new  weed wacker.

Esteemed Contributor

We just purchased a new one--I think it's a Skil. So far, it's working much better than the previous one. I thought the SunJoe one looked interesting and wasn't too bad in price. It does seem like the cutting line "needs improvement" in most of them. 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest et al, I should be tne queen of whipper snippet lol.  I have a black and decker, a Worx and a Ryobi.  The Ryobi is the most powerful and it is really too big for me so I use the other two which are battery operated.  Both just so so.  Wish I had a better recommendation for you!  LM

Respected Contributor

I have 2 battery Ryobi weedwackers, a 18v & a 40v. Changing the spool on both is easy but getting the 40 to advance the line is a real hassle. Make sure you unwind the spool 4 or 5 spins, then rewind before putting the line threw the hole & make sure you have the correct side down when you put the spool on. I have almost 2 acres & the battery yard tools are wonderful, hated dragging a cord around & the gas powered are too heavy for me. The Ryobi 18v is a real workhorse, I enjoy using it. Hope you find something you like too.

Respected Contributor

Try a Kobalt brand.  We have two of them.  Second one bought this summer - got an extra battery with it.  We also have a Kobalt battery operated blower.  They're  a great brand - great products.  Got them all at Lowes.

Honored Contributor

fthunt wrote:

Can put a man on the moon but they can't design a WW that works.  Either the string breaks just as you get going - battey putters out - electric ones you walk too far and pop...... the cord pulls out of the socket ...the gas models burn oil and chokes your lungs in he fumes.  We need someone like Dyson man to redesign a whole new  weed wacker.

@fthunt  Good idea on the Dyson except that it would probably cost about $900.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

UPDATE, took it back to home depot , the battery is bad, tried to get refund  but no, they will send me a new battery once i call in numbers ,a tool tech should me how  to do the line ,just hope i can.