Honored Contributor

Re: We Just Had Our First Cooper's Hawk!

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@hayseed00  Wow! I would love to see one in a chase!

I have been sitting at my kitchen table and them take a critter . out . of the corner of my eye, interesting creatures 

caught one having "lunch" that was interesting to watch 

Esteemed Contributor

Unusual for me too - as you said Goldfinches MIA except for a few - saw an Indigo B last year again for split second....but big thrill thisyear were the Orelos  (spelling) that hung around for weeks (month) then left and returned.   First time ever!  They went through half an orange per day.

Trusted Contributor

@fthuntOnce they find the oranges or grape jelly the Orioles will come back to your feeder every year.

Honored Contributor

This is a good sign; it means nature is coming back into balance with one or two predators. 

Laughed at the hawk sitting right next to the feeders. They are usually higher looking down from trees for their prey.

Sharp shinned I believe are also called Sparrow hawks because they get them too.

The hawk napping looked like a juvenile because of the chest spots.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Beautiful!  All last winter I had one (assume it was the same one) visiting my bird feeder.  I didn't realize at the time it was hunting.  I felt badly for the little birds - yikes!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack , we get indigo bunting from time to time.  Usually blown in by a storm.  We are at the northern extent of their range.

@PA Mom-mom the Cooper’s Hawk can clear a yard at an instant.  I hate to see them after smaller birds.  LM

PS, just read the entire thread and see others echo my comment about the Cooper’s Hawk.  We get the  sharp shinned hawk as well.  What @JustJazzmom  says is right though.  They gotta eat too.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom   We have hawks, but brown like most of Ca's birds, except for the scrub jay, so have never seen this hawk.