Super Contributor

Re: We Just Had Our First Cooper's Hawk!

We have a pair here...KS...they seem more brownish. But have the distinctive tail markings..they swoop thru past the feeders hoping to cause the songbirds to fly into house and then they grab them.  🥺

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom  We get Cooper's and Sharp-shinned hawks from Fall-Winter. They look similar, but Sharp-shinned are much smaller. We also see Red-tailed hawks circling above in our air space from time to time, but none have landed in our yard.

Here's a couple of pics...

PB230229.JPG

This one took a nap on our fence...LOL

P1020055.JPG

Honored Contributor

More than likely he's more interested in the birds at your feeder than the food.  If that's a problem, you can take your feeders down for awhile to get rid of the food source. We seem to have a mating pair nearby, and I see one on occasion in the yard, usually sitting on the fence.  I have never seen them take any of the birds at our feeder although that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  

Cooper's Hawk.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

It's beautiful bird. Thank you for the pic.

We have a lot of Red Tail Hawks here. They can be huge.

I only know my SIL is in wine club at Cooper's Hawk restaurant LOL  I've been there once.

Honored Contributor

We have red tailed hawks and I HATE them!

I have to take down our bird feeder all the time, rather than set them up for the slaughter by the hawks.

Worthless creatures as far as I'm concerned and if it was legal here to shoot them, I sure would..

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess wrote:

More than likely he's more interested in the birds at your feeder than the food.  If that's a problem, you can take your feeders down for awhile to get rid of the food source. We seem to have a mating pair nearby, and I see one on occasion in the yard, usually sitting on the fence.  I have never seen them take any of the birds at our feeder although that doesn't mean it didn't happen.  

Cooper's Hawk.jpg

@Icegoddess  Well, yes...they have to eat too and they don't 'hoard' birds...only eat what they need to survive. We appreciate/love all birds...even birds of prey.

Some folks scare them off. We allow nature to take it's coarse. Most of the time they will have a HOSP or a Mourning Dove for their meal.

DH & I have been birders for a couple of decades now Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom : We get them year around. In the heat of summer they will spend a couple of hours sitting in our bird bath under the olive tree. Those faces are beautiful. Once we see them bathing we know they're getting ready to take off. They then fly to the pool fence and sit for a bit to shake to dry off.

Our neighbors have fledglings of another type of hawk who will fly into their yard and sit in water. He fills a red wagon with water and they love to sit in that. I'm not sure what type of hawks they get but they're house is close to use. The Coopers don't go there and theirs don't seem to come here

Honored Contributor

@Susan Louise I agree.  Wish they would also eat chipmunks.  We also have Red Tailed hawks although I don't see them that often around my yard.  I'm thinking they probably prefer more open spaces and there's a lot of trees.  Most of the property behind ours is wooded.  I did have one swoop down and hang out on the deck railing for a short while.  I did manage to get a pic by crawling on the kitchen floor to get to the window so it wouldn't see me, but alas, the window screen made for a really bad pic.  

Red Tailed Hawk.jpg

Respected Contributor

I really love hawks!  I have even taken an (indoor) falconry class. They are beautiful and extremely fast.

Even though I live in a city, hawks come around when the seasons change.

That saying, I do NOT want my yard or my bird feeder area to become a hunting ground for them.  I have rabbits, birds and squirrels in my yard.  I know the hunting cries of the hawks and I am always alert.

I make sure my dogs go out regularly to patrol the yard, and they keep all predators away.

Also, a  few crows will occasionally harass a hawk in the trees until he leaves our neighborhood.

Honored Contributor

lot of red tails around here,

have seen them take out prey in the back yard , 

we went to the Hawk count yesterday but I think all the raptors were resting as it was just turkey vultures