Esteemed Contributor

We Just Had Our First Cooper's Hawk!

We've never had one at our bird feeder, and my dad did not have it checked off in his bird book. Of course, it flew away before I could snap a pic. The bird book indicates they are pretty common throughout most of the US. Do you get them? They are very strikig, and the tail of the hawk we saw had a very distinctive stripe.

Cooper's Hawk.px.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Re: We Just Had Our First Cooper's Hawk!

How different and pretty shade of blue. Have never seen one in NYS (here) and don't recall ever seeing a picture of one.  Today is your lucky day!

Honored Contributor

I was able to get a picture of the first one I ever saw about five years ago.  At one time I saw one swoop down and fly away with a mourning dove.  There were lots of feathers in my yard.  I hated seeing that.  Mourning doves are so gentle and sweet.  I haven't seen a hawk in a long time.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

It's so exciting to see new birds and animals in our yards. This is wonderful what a beautiful bird. 

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt  and @NickNack This has been an usual year for us. The goldfinches were MIA for most of the summer. But we had our first sighting of an Indigo Bunting, and now this hawk. 

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-momWe have one around and they are like little fighter jets when chasing a bird, they can tuck their wings in and go around corners and tight spots.  I had one kill one of my chickens so I have my chickens pen covered now.  Remember the cartoon Foghorn Leghorn, well that's the little chicken hawk that use to try and get him.  We also have a smaller hawk called the Sharp shinned hawk and of course the big Red tail hawk.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@fthunt  and @NickNack This has been an usual year for us. The goldfinches were MIA for most of the summer. But we had our first sighting of an Indigo Bunting, and now this hawk. 

@PA Mom-mom   I would love to see an Indigo Bunting.  I'm looking forward to having some of our winter birds back.  The dark-eyed junco is one that we have.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@hayseed00  Wow! I would love to see one in a chase!

Honored Contributor

I've seen them here in PA.  An impressive sight but unfortunately they hang around near birdfeeders hoping to catch one of the songbirds.  Smiley Sad

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I've seen them here in PA.  An impressive sight but unfortunately they hang around near birdfeeders hoping to catch one of the songbirds.  Smiley Sad

@ValuSkr  Oh, gee. That's so true. Didn't think of the collateral damage Smiley Sad