Honored Contributor

Re: Water the garden in the morning or evening?

I've always watered after 5pm.  I don't get up early enough to do it before work.  Flowers always bloomed.

Respected Contributor

I always water early morning because I fill up my birdbaths then. 

Most of my plants are in shade/sun so everything looks great.

I still have hawks visiting my birdbath because I find their feathers in there.

I have noticed that all the birds love the terracotta birdbath and rarely do I see any in my glass one or resin one. I have heard the water gets too hot in the glass one even though they are all in the shade. My neighbor has a glass bb and the birds don't use it.

Respected Contributor

Up until a week ago, our weather had been so hot and dry that I was doing a morning and evening water.  Usually, I just do evening when the temps are more moderate.  It is when I have more time to do it.

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma  If I don't get out early enough, I water in the evenings after the sun goes down down, but plants can develop mildew if the leaves get wet, I just remove those leaves when it happens.  Evening is the time here, when mosquitoes are dining, on me.

Honored Contributor

I'm a morning person so that's when they get watered. I've heard that a good soaking at sunset is better, but as long as they get watered, I'm not going to get eaten by mosquitoes before bedtime.

Respected Contributor

I do both. We set the water timer to come on at 4am. The 2nd watering comes on at 6pm. Once is not enough, especially during this moderate drought we are having in our state.