Esteemed Contributor

Wacky Weather? It Must Be April!

I'm never surprised about our April weather in PA. We had 70 + degree sunny weather earlier this week, but we had snow flurries today and there is a frost warning issued for tonight. I always think of this Robert Frost quote from Two Tramps in Mud Time my grandmother (an avid gardener) quoted nearly every April.

The sun was warm but the wind was chill.

You know how it is with an April day

When the sun is out and the wind is still,

You’re one month on in the middle of May.

But if you so much as dare to speak,

A cloud comes over the sunlit arch,

A wind comes off a frozen peak,

And you’re two months back in the middle of March.

I'll bet someone posts this every April. It's just so apropos!

Super Contributor

Re: Wacky Weather? It Must Be April!

Sounds just like Kansas! I think you just get our weather about two days later

Respected Contributor

Rochester NY had about 2 inches of snow fall last night and this AM.  It is now 5 pm, and most of it is melted, but it is still chilly. 60 degrees on Sunday!

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

South Joisey in da house!!!!!!

Currently it's strong winds, snow flurries (for the past hour), 56 degrees but feels like 40 - reason for the snow flurries.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

South Joisey in da house!!!!!!

Currently it's strong winds, snow flurries (for the past hour), 56 degrees but feels like 40 - reason for the snow flurries.

Strong winds is an understatement. The winds last night were enough to blow all kinds of stuff around. I live in Salem County and we've been nice and quiet most of the winter, but the winds last night were the strongest we've had since thunderstorms last summer. They were howling. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm right here with you, @SunnysMom.   It happens every spring.  About the time all the trees are budded and perennials are up, we get a heavy frost.  It was in the 70's for 3 days last week and I got to play out in the gardens doing general clean-up.  It was joyous.  But tonight ... freezing rain, sleet, and possible snow are forecast.    

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Mother Nature likes to play games with us this time of year. My last official frost date is mid-May, but typically by the end of April, you're pretty safe. I watch those five, ten, and fifteen-day forecasts like a hawk this time of year to try and anticipate when I can start putting stuff out. Local garden centers are packed with tender annuals even now that will likely need to be replaced if you plant them outside just yet. I guess they think they can make more money by selling the same plant twice. I've got a bunch of plants out in my cold frame and they're doing great. I've got a whole lot more still under my plant lights and they'll be getting repotted very soon. I'll be shuffling trays of plants outside on warmer days then back inside on colder nights for a while. Hopefully, Mother Nature doesn't throw us too many more surprises.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We had a warmish (though wet) winter and a coolish spring so far. We've barely hit 70 degrees so far this spring and there have been years where we've been in the 80's or even 90's already. The long-range forecast has us in the fifties and sixties most of the time. Oddly enough we were in the fifties much of the winter also. I could use it being a wee bit warmer this time of year. I've only had a window open one day so far and that's really odd for it being almost mid-April. It'll be interesting to see what summer brings. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

It's 21 degrees this morning.  Are you kidding me?!?!?!?!?   We had pingpong ball sized hail on Saturday afternoon.  What perennials are not beaten down, are now frozen.  

Ahhh.... spring on the Great Plains.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Well below freezing here yesterday, a very heavy frost this morning. No 70 degree days in the ten-day forecast. The warmest day in the ten-day forecast is next Friday at 65. This has been a warm winter and a cold spring in Southern NJ. We spent much of the winter in the fifties and we're barely climbing out of the fifties this spring. I don't think we've hit the seventies more than three or four days so far this year and barely even hit the seventies then.

The National Weather Service says we're below average in rainfall. Okay. It's been raining a lot with many days of heavy rain, but they say we're eight-tenths of an inch below normal. I think they need a new rain gauge. I find it hard to believe we're below average in terms of rainfall. At least in my local area. It's been very wet. Only two days in the ten-day forecast have no chance for rain, those are today and Wednesday.

It's been a weird year for weather. Here's hoping it warms up in May. I'm tired of the fifties all the time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!