Esteemed Contributor

Very Happy With These Potted Basil Plants

I grew these two varieties of basil from seed this year, because I wanted varieties that are short and compact for the pot but with reasonably large leaves for chopping and cooking. These worked out well and are flourishing: Marseillais Dwarf and Dolce Fresca. The Dolce is the one on the righ. It is smaller, but the leaves are bigger than the Marsellais. I'll grow both again next year.

Basil.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Very Happy With These Potted Basil Plants

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

I grew these two varieties of basil from seed this year, because I wanted varieties that are short and compact for the pot but with reasonably large leaves for chopping and cooking. These worked out well and are flourishing: Marseillais Dwarf and Dolce Fresca. The Dolce is the one on the righ. It is smaller, but the leaves are bigger than the Marsellais. I'll grow both again next year.

Basil.jpg

@PA Mom-mom   Looks great!  I also grow basil from seeds in a large box that DH built, they grow about two feet tall and wide.  I strip the stalks, process with extra virgin olive oil, and freeze.  I use this in soups, sauces, and to make pesto

Esteemed Contributor

I love basil in everything!

Can these be grown inside?  I gave up outside, the bunnies, etc. manage to get into my fenced -in area and they enjoy feasting on anything/everything I plant

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme  My good friend lives "down the shore" and grows basil in her corner window. I don't have any windows light enough for growing indoors, but I do have some grow lights I got on Amazon fro about $30. They might work. I use them for seed starting. The bunnies are the reason I have my pots on top of a bench. They can't quite reachSmiley LOL

Esteemed Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@eddyandme  My good friend lives "down the shore" and grows basil in her corner window. I don't have any windows light enough for growing indoors, but I do have some grow lights I got on Amazon fro about $30. They might work. I use them for seed starting. The bunnies are the reason I have my pots on top of a bench. They can't quite reachSmiley LOL

I'm gonna try growing them indoors.  Not by the shore, but like your friend I get plenty of sun here (the electric co. owed me 54cents last month (solar) Woman LOL.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom Look at those prolific plants!  I love basil and every time I buy one, it never seems to last.  I probably need to do more research...you certainly have gardening creds🪴

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looks like Pesto is "what's for dinner" this week. 😉

Wowza...beautiful plants and a boatload of basil, girl...get cookin'! 🪴

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom , the basil looks amazing!  I love it fresh in salads, sauces.  Such a nice addition to so many dishes.  LM

Respected Contributor

Wow, very beautiful plants and you must have enjoyed them so much this summer. I had one nice plant this summer which was plenty.    I wonder if it can survive the winter in California. Where do you get those seeds?  Sounds like a fun project to grow different. Varieties. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

Wow, very beautiful plants and you must have enjoyed them so much this summer. I had one nice plant this summer which was plenty.    I wonder if it can survive the winter in California. Where do you get those seeds?  Sounds like a fun project to grow different. Varieties. 

@Another new name Sue  I got the Dolce Fresca from Jung and the Marseillais Dwarf from John Scheepers. It is fun to try different varieties. I would recommend both of these.