Honored Contributor

Vertical or Upsidedown Gardening

Anyone here have experience gardening this way?  I'm going to experiment with both.....

Trusted Contributor

Re: Vertical or Upsidedown Gardening

I haven't personally, but my brother-in-law grows tomatoes upside-down, & does well with growing them that way!

Honored Contributor

Just be aware of the weight involved. A full grown upside down tomato plant with lots of fruit can be very heavy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Just be aware of the weight involved. A full grown upside down tomato plant with lots of fruit can be very heavy.

I was thinking of using one cherry tomato plant to start.....

Respected Contributor

Last year I grew cucumber plants vertically in my raised beds. I used a strong folding panel trellis, & secured it at both sides of my raised bed (has to be secure in case of strong wind, & to also hold the weight of the cukes).

It was super-easy to train the cukes up the trellis. This was such a perfect way to grow them. It kept them off the ground, so it helped with circulation & disease. And it takes up such a small space, compared to growing them on the ground. I grew EXCELLENT cukes! This year I'm doing 2 cuke panels. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@spot555 wrote:

Last year I grew cucumber plants vertically in my raised beds. I used a strong folding panel trellis, & secured it at both sides of my raised bed (has to be secure in case of strong wind, & to also hold the weight of the cukes).

It was super-easy to train the cukes up the trellis. This was such a perfect way to grow them. It kept them off the ground, so it helped with circulation & disease. And it takes up such a small space, compared to growing them on the ground. I grew EXCELLENT cukes! This year I'm doing 2 cuke panels. Smiley Happy

Do you have a photo, I'd be interested in seeing your technique.

Respected Contributor

Hi Sydney. Smiley Happy

I didn't take any photos. Let me know if you have any questions, & I'll be happy to help. It was extremely easy, & the cukes were always so clean & perfect (they were gorgeous!)