Honored Contributor

Does some one grow this, i read the seeds need to be planted in the fall,do you do that?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Depends on the length of your growing season. 

I grow these 48"+ tall, coarsely textured self sowing plants behind and between other flowers, and plant okra, zucchini, and other plants that need bee pollinators between them too.

Since they naturally self sow in autumn I encourage that.  Otherwise I have to hand sow in very early spring, and most years it's too windy/rainy to remove composting leaves or work my soil. 

Also, if sown after the soil warms the next year, they can bolt and flower on spindly, stunted, unbranched stems.

Honored Contributor

As a general rule when I plant perennials from seed I start the seeds when my tender annuals go outside in early/mid-May, then plant the seedlings out in July/August. Verbena Bonariensis are a neat plant in that they have a square stem. It makes it pretty easy to identify them in your garden. They also take up very little soil space since they mostly grow straight up. I highly recommmend them.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Does some one grow this, i read the seeds need to be planted in the fall,do you do that?

@goldensrbest   I grow it, and just scattered seeds from the dead heads of the plants.  I have lousy soil, so some come up, but if they all came up, we would be buried in them, lol, so if they naturally scatter in the Fall, then this should be the right time to plant.

Honored Contributor

Thanks every one ,i have liked these for years,just never planted them. Where to get good seeds?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Thanks every one ,i have liked these for years,just never planted them. Where to get good seeds?

@goldensrbest   Try Eden Brothers online.  Also, there are two types of this, one is more low growing, the other such as I have can be six feet tall or taller, so be sure you get seeds for the type you want.  the shorter is more border type, the tall for the middle or back.

Esteemed Contributor

I might be tempted to plant just one plant and let it seed.  You will have lots of it in a few short years.  Clip the dried seed heads and shake them around if Mother Nature isn't taking care of things the way you'd like.

Learn to identify the seedlings so you don't pull them as weeds.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I love Eden Seeds.  I had the most gorgeous zinnias I have ever had this year.  Will always buy my seeds from then from now on.