Respected Contributor

20190720_135747.jpg

Respected Contributor

20190720_135803.jpg

Respected Contributor

The Orchid is my birthday gift from my lovely daughter. 

Also my Rose's along driveway,  doing much better..I switched fertilizer!  The pink in front are climbing Coral Dawn...they are highly fragrant...sooooo nice!!

Respected Contributor
  • 20190720_135747.jpg
Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  Have never tried growing orchids outside. You must live in a warm climate. Do you mind sharing what Zone and type of orchids you grow? They are lovely.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

20190720_135803.jpg

Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@Dazlin  Have never tried growing orchids outside. You must live in a warm climate. Do you mind sharing what Zone and type of orchids you grow? They are lovely.

@BirkiLady ...I live in Central Florida,  zone 9.   This is my 1st Vanda Orchid,  a gift.  Instructions say, just mist daily, no direct sun, but light.  So I hung it under a tree which faces east.  I've had several indoor potted Orchids, which I diligently took care of.  After the 1st year or so of blooms, they did nothing, and died back.  So I'm done with those.   I dumped ALL my various house plants...none of them did well, and many attracted knats, which I tried everything to rid them.  

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

@BirkiLady wrote:

@BirkiLady ...I live in Central Florida,  zone 9.   This is my 1st Vanda Orchid,  a gift.  Instructions say, just mist daily, no direct sun, but light.  So I hung it under a tree which faces east.  I've had several indoor potted Orchids, which I diligently took care of.  After the 1st year or so of blooms, they did nothing, and died back.  So I'm done with those.   I dumped ALL my various house plants...none of them did well, and many attracted knats, which I tried everything to rid them.  

Also, I mentioned below  the driveway pics are of my Rose's...I just snapped those pics...but didn't mean to put them under orchid's...sorry about that.  So it's just one Vanda Orchid hanging under the tree.  

Respected Contributor

Dazlin, did your Don Juan ever start performing for you?  I remember you were seeing lots of vegetation and no blooms after you planted it last year.  I finally got brave enough to cut back my roses last winter, and they all grew like mad this spring and my ancient Don Juan is covered with blooms.  I hope your fertilizer switch helped your Don Juan respond like mine did to pruning!

Oh, and that orchid is amazing!  In another couple of years, I expect to be able to grow orchids here in western Oregon, it's gotten so much warmer these past few years! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin , how lovely is that!  I can’t see how it survives.  Very interesting.  LM