Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Dazlin, did your Don Juan ever start performing for you?  I remember you were seeing lots of vegetation and no blooms after you planted it last year.  I finally got brave enough to cut back my roses last winter, and they all grew like mad this spring and my ancient Don Juan is covered with blooms.  I hope your fertilizer switch helped your Don Juan respond like mine did to pruning!

Oh, and that orchid is amazing!  In another couple of years, I expect to be able to grow orchids here in western Oregon, it's gotten so much warmer these past few years! 

Spoiler
Spoiler
@CamilleP.  As for the Don Juan...I went back to my local arboretum where I purchased it, and after several attempts to help it, the owner contacted Weeks Nursery who provided this, and they concluded it was an breeding error and pulled it off market.  I got a full refund.   I ditched mine and replaced with a Tropicana.   Nice of you remember and ask.
Respected Contributor

@CamilleP wrote:

Dazlin, did your Don Juan ever start performing for you?  I remember you were seeing lots of vegetation and no blooms after you planted it last year.  I finally got brave enough to cut back my roses last winter, and they all grew like mad this spring and my ancient Don Juan is covered with blooms.  I hope your fertilizer switch helped your Don Juan respond like mine did to pruning!

Oh, and that orchid is amazing!  In another couple of years, I expect to be able to grow orchids here in western Oregon, it's gotten so much warmer these past few years! 

@CamilleP ...thank you for remembering my Don Juan.   It turned out the nursery WEEKS was at fault.  Seems they messed up with cross breeding.   My local Arboretum also had problems getting it to flower and he contacted Weeks,  just as I did, and they offered us a full refund.   I decided to replace it with a Tropicana.   After seeing the work involved with a climber, I'd rather stay with a bush i can handle.    As for the Orchid,  they like bright light,  no direct sun, and temps not over 80's.  Just mist or spray daily.   Theres a fertilizer you dunk the roots in for a few minutes...we'll see how it goes🙄.    I'm in Florida,  and we get temps high 90's, so that's why I hung it under a tree.

Respected Contributor

I'm so sorry your plant turned out to be a "sport", Dazlin, I hope your Tropicana turns out gorgeous!  If you ever do find a good place for a climber, I hope you give a good Don Juan a chance, they are such gorgeous flowers when the plant blooms properly!