Esteemed Contributor

Update on sewage line repair x2 front yard + fall yesterday planting

Hi Everyone,

Again, I'd like to thank all who provided advice on what to do next, while the plumbing crew was here literally digging up 90% of our front yard.  It had to be repeated 2 weeks later, as the city inspector found a bit of a "sink" in one part of the new line, when he scoped it, which he wanted corrected.  During this entire journey, we lost all living things in the yard, with the exception of one bush.  I will admit, though, that this situation gave me the opportunity to insist that our maintenance guy remove a horrible large coffin-shaped boxwood bush that was 7 feet by 3 feet (after HOA permission).

We live in a townhouse community, where everyone but us has a decently sized and shaped front yard.  Our yard is on the small size, but shaped like a very irregular triangular, 1 sides having a walkway to our front door, another side a narrow public walkway and the other the front of our house.

Yes, our HOA brought in loads of top soil.  Yay! - for our soil is clay and nasty.  Due to all of your warnings about settling in the next few years, I purchased only one major bush and that was a rhododendrun (pink with spotted throat).  Would have liked to purchase a second one (deep red), but they went fast in the dwarf size.

I don't have a photo to post today, because planting commenced just 3 weeks ago; however, once things start to hop, will indeed do so. 

Really didn't want to look at just dirt all summer and fall, so planted border dahlias, "regular dahlias (against garage wall), day lilies, 2 English lavenders, 2 small ornamental grasses, several flowering annuals, allisium around M. Stewart's planter with the gorgeous double purple petunias and lace in it and want to create a replacement river of grape hyacinth bounded by river rock, etc.  I already had several rocks in place, so planted a number of the above in concert with the rocks.  The day lilies planted against the house and under the breakfast room window. Oh, and my husband found a dogwood had taken root near the house, so planted that, too.  Love it's pink flowers! Hoping that in the end, this will please our neighbors, especially K, who lives 50' from us and is Chair of the Landscape Committee. 

Then, POW!  Yesterday, while planting at the base of the Martha Stewart planter, my gardening bench/kneeler, which I had mistakenly placed on really soft soil that sloped on the left, crashed over to the left, as I leaned to the left to place a plant in a hole.  BAM!  Right onto a concrete walkway.  Hit my head, left shoulder-elbow-hand-hip-knee  and took out my Prada glasses (Sob!).  Have facial contusions, but no black eye.  Stuff hurts; however I was fortunate to be wearing glasses, as I honestly believe they saved my eye and face from further and worse injury.

Learned:  Always make sure you know where the base of your garden bench/stool/whatever is.  I've always worked on the "flat" and never had to be concerned about small slopes down to a walkway.  Won't do that again.  Now must get to my optician for glasses...

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Update on sewage line repair x2 front yard + fall yesterday planting

@sfnative, I hope you recover quickly.  You must be sore!  My neighbor’s DH took a fall down a steep slope this week.  Hi Head was bleeding, his arm and his leg.  What a scare!  We all have slopes around here so it can be tricky!!!

Your new garden sounds very colourful.  Can’t wait to see photos!  LM

Respected Contributor

Hope your recovery is quick - unexpected falls are the worst!  Get well!

Honored Contributor

@sfnative  So sorry about your fall, I have taken many in the garden and elsewhere, just about ruined my knees.  Once, I stepped in a hole, and fell face down onto a bulwark of enormous rocks. slammed my mouth on them, thought I had lost some front teeth, but the only damage for all of the pain and blood, was a small line above my lip, and I was wearing my readers so also think these protected my eyes.

On a happy note, I am glad you were able to get some plants into the ground, will help brighten your spirits. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Oh dear, glad no broken bones, but achiness is no fun either. Please post photos when it’s all planted.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@sfnative  So sorry about your fall, I have taken many in the garden and elsewhere, just about ruined my knees.  Once, I stepped in a hole, and fell face down onto a bulwark of enormous rocks. slammed my mouth on them, thought I had lost some front teeth, but the only damage for all of the pain and blood, was a small line above my lip, and I was wearing my readers so also think these protected my eyes.

On a happy note, I am glad you were able to get some plants into the ground, will help brighten your spirits. Smiley Happy

@mousiegirl

Your fall into rocks sounds horrible, as I'm sure it was.  Amazing that you didn't require any sort of dental surgery or lose any teeth.  I'd call that awesome!  But - - - terribly painful at the time.  Hope it no longer bothers you.