Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh…Yellow jackets on Hummingbird Feeder..

@amyb   Amazon has something called 

RESCUE! Disposable Summer Yellowjacket Trap that I'm thinking about ordering.  They're cheap and get great reviews.  I would look into ordering those (Lowe's also has them) before taking down your feeders for the season.  Hummingbirds really need the food right now.  Make sure you get the traps that are for your area of the country.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

I spray my feeders with "Pam spray" to keep the bees out. It doesn't bother the hummers but the bees (and ants) don't like it.

Respected Contributor

@amyb , I get them all the time.  I bought a bee trap from Lowes...you fill it with apple juice.  It has an upper and lower chamber, I've been successful catching yellow Jack's and nasty wasps,  flies too.    Google it.

Respected Contributor

@amyb I don't recommend putting out a bowl because you will attract ants and other types of flying insects.  And they can just fly around and drink.  That is why we use the drink bottles with the funnels inserted in the side.  It works and you get the yellow jackets that are there anyway.  Ants can go into the drink bottles and they drown in the liquid too.  What makes it better is that the insects go inside the bottle and they are no longer flying around outside (and after you).  All of our feeders have the yellow jacket resistant holes.  I just noticed that you said you were refilling feeders every two weeks and that is definitely too long an interval.   The sweet food spoils quickly in heat and ferments.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

It's so disappointing to see the hummers being frustrated at their feeders. I've been going through the same thing this summer. I've found though, my hummers do not abandon the 2 feeders I have. They wait until the bees aren't at the feeders, or there are only one or two bees. Also, the suggestion to put out a tray or dish of something sweet to draw the bees is an open invitation to ants! I battle those blasted ants all summer and that would be something that would draw them within minutes on my patio!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the continued suggestions, everyone.

Well....yesterday I cleaned it out thoroughly...put fresh sugar water in and put it out last night.

I'm so hoping the little birds come find it this morning before those darn bees!!

The HB's came back a few times looking the past 2 days, and I felt so bad it wasn't there! But the bees came back looking too. 😕

I will get PAM, as someone suggested here. If it doesn't work, I'll have to try one of those traps, however it's a small condo deck...not sure where I'll be hanging that, and it'll be ugly for sure, however...right now just want the birds to be able to come and eat again.

Contributor

HIGHLY recommend these feeders from Amazon:

Bee Proof Hummingbird Feeder 16 oz [Set of 2] Plastic Hummingbird Feeders for Outdoors With Ant Guard - Circular Perch With 8 Feeding Ports - Wide Mouth for Easy Filling/2 Part Base for Easy Cleaning

I got them because of bee/wasp problems which totally disappeared after I started using them. 

Respected Contributor

@thisbe wrote:

HIGHLY recommend these feeders from Amazon:

Bee Proof Hummingbird Feeder 16 oz [Set of 2] Plastic Hummingbird Feeders for Outdoors With Ant Guard - Circular Perch With 8 Feeding Ports - Wide Mouth for Easy Filling/2 Part Base for Easy Cleaning

I got them because of bee/wasp problems which totally disappeared after I started using them. 

I just checked them out...I will say though, the bottom of my feeder, where the birds get the necter, is built exactly as these are, it's just that mine has a glass blown bulb above. Mine is item M70604 on QVC.

Esteemed Contributor

Hummingbirds and yellow jackets have been in competition for as long as they have existed.  This time of the year is particularly resonant since many of the yellowjackets will die off and the hummers will migrate.

I might suggest to plant more flowers (salvia is a good one) for the birds and not rely entirely on the feeders.  Lobelia is great, too.

Anyway, letting things happen in nature is often the best course, provided there is nature around.  

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

• Don't put any oils, Vicks Vapor Rub, Pam Cooking Spray, Duct Tape, Off, Skin-so-soft, or Vaseline on your hummingbird feeder. These may work slightly. However, hummingbirds have a tendency to fly around frantically and bump into feeders quite often. If there is oily stuff or duct tape on the feeder, it can get into the feathers. The hummingbirds will have a hard time getting it off and it's not all that good for them. Plus, most of these items will melt in the heat making goo run all over the place. Please don't use these items.

https://www.worldofhummingbirds.com/uninvitedbees.php

• Change the nectar in the feeders every other day in this hot humid weather -it spoils very quickly.  Even if there is no visible mold, it can taint the water and harm the birds. i use less nectar in the feeders, even though they can hold 12 oz, i just use a cup or 1 1/2 cups or so. I have 4 feeders in rotation, i soak in a splash of bleach and a drop of detergent. scrub w bottle brush, rinse and air dry.

• Yellow Jax live in the ground. The babies are booted out of their nests at this time of year. it's the babies causing trouble.

• i haven't seen many hummingbird buddies since Henri passed through on Sunday a few miles away. :-(    we had the high winds and rain.  i've changed the nectar 3 times and it was barely touched.