Honored Contributor

Re: Ugh…Yellow jackets on Hummingbird Feeder..

@NickNack   I had to buy a trap, hung it in a tree and it worked great.  these will attack as they did my DH, while he dug into their nest in the ground.  He had to go to the ER as his head began to swell.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl   I'm so glad the trap worked.  That's awful that your husband had to go to the ER.  I hope he's okay now.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@mousiegirl   I'm so glad the trap worked.  That's awful that your husband had to go to the ER.  I hope he's okay now.

@NickNack   Yes, thank you, he carries a syringe with him.  A yellowjacket stung one of my pups on his eyelid, so took him to the vet for removal, must have been very painful.

The trap requires some meat in it, they are meateaters.  I don't like to hurt any creature, but one has to live and these are a menace.

Esteemed Contributor

I only see one or two hummers at my feeders and the yellow jackets are awful. I have the feeders with the bee guards...but the yellow jackets jusr swarm around them...

I am taking the feeders down tomorrow. I still have blooming flowers in my flower beds for the stragglers...

Regular Contributor

Oh gosh-I had to take my hummingbird feeder down because of this.  At first it was just regular bees and every now and then I'd see a wasp.  Ok, fine but then the yellow jackets showed up.  At first it seemed ok but then in a very short time they became aggressive-the feeder was pretty far away from our driveway and front porch but they started seeking us out so I waited till night time and took the feeder down.  I also tried to put a plate of something else away from the feeder-that seemed to work for a bit but not for long.