Super Contributor

Re: UNWANTED BIRDS---HELP, PLEASE.

Get a hanging suet feeder that is flat on the bottom. and only the hanging feeders like Woodpeckers. Chickadees and Titmice can use it.

Honored Contributor

We get grackles, blackbirds and redwing blackbirds. We get starlings at times too. They all manage to eat and some wander around my yard while they wait their turn.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Grackles and starlings are just two more species of birds.  They need to eat as well and I consider them all part of God's creation.  Why would I want to scare them away?  We also have large numbers of crows.

I watch squirrels (red and grey), chipmunks, raccoons and other assorted wildlife helping themselves to the food I put out for the birds.

I'm just happy that I get to see so much of nature in my backyard. 

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

Those big black birds ( that I think are quakles or crakles) are back and just pigging out on  me suet feeders. They are really nasty to all the other birds. How do I get rid of them or do they just past thru the area for a while and go away? I only had this problem for about two weeks last year and now this year it seems to be longer. 

Does anyone know about them? 

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

I can tell you what my late husband did one summer but it's not pleasant.   He shot one with a shotgun and hung him on a pole in the yard.   I know, yuk.    But it worked.   We could see the birds all around up in the trees around the periimeter of the property but they never came in the yard again.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a problem with them last year. They chased all the Cardinals, Blue Jays and finces away. They even pecked my Bluebird to death. 

I quit buying suet for a month and changed the type of feeders so they couldn't eat from them easily. They moved on and my regulars came back...

Best to try and get rid of them when you first see them or they will come in bunches and will eat up all your food in one visit....

Respected Contributor

@software wrote:

@Fressa wrote:

Those big black birds ( that I think are quakles or crakles) are back and just pigging out on  me suet feeders. They are really nasty to all the other birds. How do I get rid of them or do they just past thru the area for a while and go away? I only had this problem for about two weeks last year and now this year it seems to be longer. 

Does anyone know about them? 

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

I can tell you what my late husband did one summer but it's not pleasant.   He shot one with a shotgun and hung him on a pole in the yard.   I know, yuk.    But it worked.   We could see the birds all around up in the trees around the periimeter of the property but they never came in the yard again.

You are right....that is not pleasant.  Sounds like something they did at the tower of London.  That would make my husband my EX husband. 

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I had a problem with them last year. They chased all the Cardinals, Blue Jays and finces away. They even pecked my Bluebird to death. 

I quit buying suet for a month and changed the type of feeders so they couldn't eat from them easily. They moved on and my regulars came back...

Best to try and get rid of them when you first see them or they will come in bunches and will eat up all your food in one visit....

Strange...we have cardinals, bluejays, goldfinches, sparrows, grosbeaks, tanagers, orioles, woodpeckers...the list goes on and on and yet the grackles and starlings have never driven them off.  And certainly never pecked any of them to death.

All I can say, is they must be more aggressive in other parts of the country!  Woman Surprised

Honored Contributor

@birkin baby - I'm with you!  Would definitely be an "EX"!  Smiley Mad

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa  They don't like safflower seed.  Maybe put some of that in your feeders until they lose interest and leave.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Meowingkitty wrote:

@MalteseMomma wrote:

try stopping feeding  "your" regular birds for a few days.They will be ok and those nasty ones will move on. Your regulars will return quickly.

I get them in the fall but have a few now

It's the darn pigeons I can't get rid of.  Smiley Sad

They have on Amazon pigeon spikes you can buy that will keep them from roosting. They are around $20.00. 

@Meowingkitty

I have tried everything ,including owl and hawk figures swinging in my trees ,nothing stops them.From gobbling down all my bird seed they have grown as big a turkeys.......lol