Honored Contributor

I have been trimming shrubs for the last 2 days trying to get the worst of it done before the heat coming this weekend.  A lot of wind yesterday which helped since I normally have to wear a wet wrap around my head to keep the sweat from rolling into my eyes.  It's still fairly nice out today, but I was getting my shot this morning and even if I just had a sore arm, it would be even more difficult to do the overhead work.  This is all done with a pair of manual hedge clippers and pruners.  Electric clippers won't work on these.  The stems get too thick, which is why I also have to use the pruners.

First pic is of one shrub mid-process just to show how much I have to remove.  I use sheets to both help with the cleanup and to cover plantings as well as pots covering smaller plants so they don't get stepped on or broken off when the stuff comes down on top of them.  Can't trust a pro to do that.  Two of the shrubs didn't make the pics, so a total of 8.  I still have to do the two on the other side of the driveway (which also can't be seen) at some point.  

Shrubs During.jpg

MAY 2021 Shrubs.jpg

Trusted Contributor

Re: Two Days of Shrub Trimming

Oh my - you did a great job!!

I have only one bush that I need to trim once a year, and I always dislike the job.  It probably takes me a little over an hour from start to clean-up, but it's a lot of work.  When I do mine (usually late June or early July) I'll think of you.  I'll keep reminding myself - it's only 1, not 8 like @Icegoddess had to do!!!   :-)

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess Wowser! That's wonderful and I admire your ability to take care of all that! Thanks for sharing the photos. I love the exterior of your home BTW. Is it brick?

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess  You did a great job and everything looks fantastic.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@Icegoddess Wowser! That's wonderful and I admire your ability to take care of all that! Thanks for sharing the photos. I love the exterior of your home BTW. Is it brick?

@Love my grandkids yes, all brick except an attached "sunroom" previous owners built on the back (on top of the deck).  I always called it the hot tub room because it had a huge hot tub inside.  We finally got rid of that when we decided to replace the double doors out onto the rest of the deck.  That was the only way to get it out.

Respected Contributor

I'm impressed to say the least.  I cannot imagine doing 8 trees (they look more like trees than shrubs to me) with manual clippers.  I'd be pressed to do 8 of them with electric clipper.  Your house and porch are lovely.

Honored Contributor

You did a great job...it looks professional.  That's a of hard work.

I have been working on my plantings too. It was 89 degrees yesterday and 80 degeees today.  I still have one more day's work  to go.  Tomorrow I hope to finish and put down tan bark.

I used to really enjoy yard work and I still would, if only my knees would stop screaming.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie Mulch is next.  Plan to buy 20 bags of 1.5 cu ft tomorrow if I'm feeling up to it.  That is just the beginning.  I spread somewhere between 50 to 75 2 cu ft bags yearly.  Home Depot has the 1.5 bags on sale cheaper than anybody else's 2 cu ft bags starting today.

I did most of my planting in the front yard on Sunday.  I have one more spot that needs a plant though.  My back yard is mostly shade, so I do a lot of hosta, ferns, and astilbes.  The local hosta society is doing a sale on May 29, so I'm sure I'll have several to plant after that.  Regrettably, a rabbit ate my prized Indian Pink.  I'm going to try and get one this fall, but I'll have to order it.  I just lucked into the one I had at a local nursery a few years ago, and haven't seen one locally since.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess , well done!  Anyone who has pruned knows what a big job this is and one where you have to step back often and take a look as to shaping.

I finally got a battery operated hedge trimmer...a real good one but I know you did this by hand.  How often do you do it?  A big big job.  Congrats.  Smart to get it done before the shot.  S

PS, what is the shrub?

Honored Contributor

Congrats on your accomplishment!  It looks amazing!  I certainly know how much work is involved as I have many shrubs and bushes to trim.  I have yet to start them and I am dreading it!  I can't take the heat so I have to be very strategic in planning!  The first trimming of the year is by far the worst.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin