Esteemed Contributor

Trimming question for gardeners

[ Edited ]

We are doing some big changes to the property.  We have taken out more than a dozen trees and large shrubs that really had overgrown their space, were blocking views or were difficult to get around (Norway spruce, ivory silk, blue spruce, common lilac, burning bush, dying birch, etc.). I am editing the property (1 3/4 acres) to remove or move shrubs outside garden beds, consolidating gardens, etc.

I have one shrub that I hesitate to trim by 1/3.  Photo below.  It is a strawberry vanilla hydrangea and it is huge.  About 10' tall by at least 10' wide.  If I trim, I will take off the top 1/3.  I hesitate because this shrub is beautiful when it is in bloom.  The pictures don't really capture the size as it is planted below grade of the stone patio.

Would appreciate any comments from experienced gardeners.  TIA.  LM

F337047D-4C08-4566-91D2-6AB6F61F2699.jpeg

The back view

6EE8E09F-5C90-4691-902E-DCD7F5A610B5.jpeg

Fall colour

11FD29A0-B16F-4A61-AB27-E65B3A50E6B4.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Trimming question for gardeners

You are more experienced than many of us,but i would never remove that bush,too pretty.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  First, I want to tell you that I love looking at pictures in your yard.  I have no idea how to trim a hydrangea, but I have wanted one of the strawberry vanilla ones since I first saw them.  I am thinking that my new gardener, when he finishes the front of my home, can find one and a good spot for it.  Of course, I have no idea how to care for it, but I will be looking at your posts.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Esteemed Contributor

It's apparently happy with the spot it's in.....I would leave it there.  Could kill it by moving it.

I would.............shape it by removing those branches touching the ground and - trim back the sides and top.  It's overgrown and needs (perhaps) thinning so more air can get in the thick bush.

Trusted Contributor

I now have about a dozen panicle hydrangeas like this one around my yard. I started planting them around 9 years ago and keep adding because they do so well.  

I'm no expert, but I find that I can severly prune them, and they come back better than ever.  I vaguely remember one garden center owner telling me I could prune back anytime, and would not lose blooms.  I prune back in the spring, and the blooms appear on the cut parts, on new growth, not just old growth from last year.

I have also transplanted a couple, but they were not as large as yours.  Mine did well, but I guess I would be afraid to move such an established shrub.  

I garden a lot, but I don't always do as much research as I should, sometimes it's just hit or miss.  

I love these hydrangeas and have not had a single one die or do poorly.  Some have even produced babies along side them, and I take them out and plant them elsewhere.  I have two from this year that have grown so much.

I would just prune yours way back, and leave it where it is, if possible.  I love that color, I don't have a strawberry one, though I've heard of it.  It's gorgeous.  My current favorite variety is Pinky Winky.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom ....I am NOT an experiened gardener...you have answered many questions for me, but I have that same hydragena, and yes it is very pretty...I bought two, dummy me, they got bigger than expected.

I trimmed mine back late winter, early spring this year...I am sure I took at least a third of the plant and was nervous about them not blooming this year....they are both currently in full bloom, so next year when the time comes they will get another good trimming.  I am not a fan of huge bushes.

I just trimmed back my other hydrangea...different variety and hope it blooms next year, but again it was just getting to a size that I don't like.  I am going to take a flower from that plant to the nursery because I don't know the variety....I only got one bloom this year so I am probably trimming at the wrong time.

Enjoy your garden, it's beautiful.

Trusted Contributor

@Lilysmom 

Hi, your garden and landscaping is awesome. Love your pics. I am just getting into hydrangea bushes in the last couple of years and I absolutely love the payoff and practically care-free maintenance. 

I've discovered on YouTube - gardener Kelly Lehman from Cranbury Flower Farm (I believe she is based out of New Jersey) -shes not an overtalker and gets her point across in a very nice way too. Short very helpful videos. 

I'm removing a dying bush this fall and plan to plant a hydrangea in its place in the spring. Love that strawberry one! 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

We all enjoy your lovely gardens and frequent posts! This is a gorgeous Strawberry Vanilla and I'd be hesitant to move it since it seems so happy where it is.

Why not simply trim back any cross branches to provide more air flow and eliminate any droopy branches (which aren't attractive or healthy in any plant or shrub)? It would be a good first attempt.

If you really want to tackle it, trim it back 1/3 next year. A Panacle will survive that trimming very well and continue to provide you years of enjoyment and beauty. 

ETA: Do you ever watch Laura on Proven Winners (Utube)? She and her husband have several videos answering your questions IIRC.  I believe they live in the high desert of Oregon (Zone 5-b). Plus, she and her husband have a fabulous home with large, gorgeous gardens much like yours on a large acreage (they keep adding additional land). I think you'd enjoy their daily shows also on Facebook.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

For what it is worth, a friend bought a house that was grossly overgrown.  She could not approach the front door and got mad and hacked one down to about 18".  At that point she didn't care.  It come back as a nice little bush.  Seems like the first year the blooms weren't much.  Big blooms now.

Honored Contributor

I'd trim no more than a third of it. Beautiful plant!