Esteemed Contributor

Re: Trimming question for gardeners

@Lilysmom  Endless Summer is one that I hope to be planting once our stoop and sidewalk are finished.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Super Contributor

I LOVE the pictures - beautiful! Yes, you can cut back the hydrangea - you may sacrifice a blooms the following year...but over time it'll be blooming like crazy again!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom , good point about timing.  Our weather here is entering a cool period so I will be moving a few things.  I have almost completely dismantled one garden and am waiting for cooler weather to finish.  Crazy hot summer here.  We had big thunder and lightning storms with heavy rain last night after weeks of no precipitation.  Not ideal but right now any moisture is welcome!

Off to check out 'Little Twist'.  Thanks for your advice.  LM

PS, Little Twist is beautiful! 

Esteemed Contributor

@tl98466 , I am hoping the shrub will fill out more after pruning.  Thanks for your input.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl , you will love Endless Summer.  Amazing colour!  Post some photos when you plant.  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom , good point about timing.  Our weather here is entering a cool period so I will be moving a few things.  I have almost completely dismantled one garden and am waiting for cooler weather to finish.  Crazy hot summer here.  We had big thunder and lightning storms with heavy rain last night after weeks of no precipitation.  Not ideal but right now any moisture is welcome!

Off to check out 'Little Twist'.  Thanks for your advice.  LM

PS, Little Twist is beautiful! 

We had to replace the 'Ivory Silk' lilac tree during attached garage construction. It became too close to the gutter/roof line edge. Also with its removal, the paved brick pathway could become a full 3' across.

'Little Twist' I noticed is an early blooming ornamental cherry tree. In bloom at the same time the cherry trees that line the Washington DC Mall basin bloom. 

It's about 3-4' now with expected height & width to be about 7'; maybe 10'! Hybridizers always miscalculate tree & shrub measurements are maturity. It's got 2 grafts almost like a rose standard. This past spring after it bloomed, a robin family built a nest inside the center & 2 babies fledged.

After they fledged, I removed the nest which took up the entire center.

We are calling it (name of grandson)'s tree. Photo is from this spring.

Prunus incisa 'Little Twist' ornamental cherry tree.jpg

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom , what a beauty!  Something to look forward to each Spring.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom   Ms Lily, my landscape husband first would like to know the cultivar before he firms up his suggestion. He did say your's is a lovely one. He said you could do it now or in the spring.

If it's on first year wood, you can prune it now/fall. If it's 2nd yr wood and you prune now, you won't have blooms again for 2 years.

Let us know, he can advise probably better.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PINKdogWOOD , it is paniculata and blooms on new wood.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom   You can also google 'Melinda Myers', and check in with her. She writes articles for a mag we get called "Birds and Blooms" she also has clips on PBS on Saturdays which we see her on. Hubby just read an article from her on hydrangeas he's trying to find.

In any event let us/him know the age of your's.