Esteemed Contributor

Trichomoniasis -- Bird disease in Atlantic Canada

This disease affecting gold and purple finches has shown up in Atlantic Canada.  The disease causes inflammation in the esophagus making it impossible for them to eat.  We have been advised to take down feeders and bird baths as this causes birds to congregate and spread the disease.  It's sad to learn of this.  Hopefully it doesn't spread.  LM

Honored Contributor

Re: Trichomoniasis -- Bird disease in Atlantic Canada

@Lilysmom wrote:

This disease affecting gold and purple finches has shown up in Atlantic Canada.  The disease causes inflammation in the esophagus making it impossible for them to eat.  We have been advised to take down feeders and bird baths as this causes birds to congregate and spread the disease.  It's sad to learn of this.  Hopefully it doesn't spread.  LM

Oh dear! 

I had read that a conjunctivitis causing blindness in purple and house finches was caused by canary breeders using their seeds to feed outdoor finches. Since canaries are related to finches, this is how the disease spread from canary to finch.

I did see a house finch once come to the thistle feeder years ago (it was the last to feed) & I was practically on top of it because it couldn't 'see' me. 

One solution is to keep all feeding areas clean and pick up and discard all fallen seed. Clean your feeders frequently too. 

I imagine you should change the water frequently in the birdbath so as not to spread disease and also keep mosquitos from breeding too. Keep the birdbaths clear of debris too. 

So sorry to hear about this disease.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

So sad.  the Only sliver of a good thing here is at least it is summer and they can forage without the feeders.  Bad as this is , it would be even worse to cut them off later in the season.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom@candys mine, we don't normally feed the birds in summer.  We have dismantled all the bird baths.  It is really sad.  Hope this gets halted before too many succumb.  LM

Honored Contributor

I feed year round and supply water. The water helps them remove parasites like mites off them. Mites dislike moist wet conditions. 

I have noticed in the past 5 years no Japanese beetles on my roses or perennial hibiscus plants. I think the birds while waiting their turn at the feeders, walk around and eat the grubs wherever they are -- lawn and garden areas.

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom, re the Japanese beetles, who knew!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom, re the Japanese beetles, who knew!  LM

Both another Rosarian and I have done this and we have no Japanrse beetles on our roses.