Respected Contributor

Too Late in Season to Plant Flowers?

I am not a gardener, but I recently cleared out an area in my yard that was dead grass, bare spots and weeds.  I've pulled everything out and plan on adding top soil and compost, and because this small area is just outside my back porch area, I'd like to add some flowers - if possible.

I live in the SE area of the US - VERY hot and humid here and I get full Southern exposure in this area.  I was thinking of some Lantana or Verbena or Coneflower just to fill it in a little bit.  Maybe a tiny lavender bush?  Because it is nearly the 1st of July, should I hold off until September to plant anything?  I'd be disappointed to have done all this work only to have my stuff die cause it's just not the right time of year to plant.  The area gets FULL sun exposure.

Thanks for any tips.  (We also haven't had hardly any rain, but I can water with the hose.)

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

Re: Too Late in Season to Plant Flowers?

If I wanted to plant now, I would...lots of plants are on sale now...just be sure to water on a regular basis and add a good layer of mulch....obviously you know the sun exposure, so you will purchase the correct plants for that spot. Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

If you can water, and find decent plants, I'd say go for it!  I've found beautiful zinnias, geraniums, and petunias on sale in the last week.

There's lots of time left to enjoy them.

If any of the plants you mentioned are perennials in your area, continue to water carefully if the fall and early winter, if there is not much rain.  Remember to check around for them in the spring, so you know where they are and don't mistake them for weeds.  

🌺

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I planted flowers last Wednesday.  It is not too late.  My local grocery store was giving away herbs, veggie and flower plants for free, so I grabbed a few varieties of each.

You must buy hardy plants, many are either on sale or will be on sale after July 4th.  It is too late to plant seeds.

You can also buy some perennials.  Some are done blooming for this year, but will bloom for next year and some are just starting to bloom now.  

Have fun planting and enjoy your flowers.

Trusted Contributor

I am in Tampa Bay; moved here from SC, so I’m used to gardening in this heat and humidity. Not too late to plant at all. You can plant nearly year around if you choose. However, many plants such as geranium, begonia, impatiens that love full sun up north will wither down here. In my full sun areas I usually go to Lowe’s where many of their annuals are marked “Florida”. These plants can take our intense sun and heat......plants like vinca, butterfly bush, desert rose, crown of thorns, Mexican petunia, bleeding heart, purple princess, lantana, plumbago, purple queen wandering jew, purslane, ixora, guara, mona lavender, scaevola, daylilies, evolvulus, durantha, penta, bush daisy, hibiscus, and on and on. The perennials you can plant anytime, but they’re hard to find right now in garden centers. They will die back to ground if winter is below 32 degrees, but they’ll come up again. I love to garden down here, but I try to plant in spring before the heat becomes unbearable. I do replace my annuals all year long as needed because they do eventually get old and tired. My garden is full sun. Good luck!