Frequent Contributor

Tomatoes Anyone?

[ Edited ]

Has anyone planted tomato plants from QVC?  I bought some Cottage Farms Chef's Delight Heirloom Tomatoes....4 little plants I've had in my windowsill since mid April.  I finally got them planted outside in plastic pots this morning after my yard had its spring clean-up. Still need to put some tomato cages in each pot.    I don't remember the plants being as tiny last year when I planted them.  Hope I have good luck this year.  I love home-grown, heirloom tomatoes!!

Janet in Georgia
Honored Contributor

I have had very little luck with any plant I have bought from QVC. I do better with tomato plants I start from seed or plants I buy at a local greenhouse. Hope you have luck with your.

Frequent Contributor

I hope they work this year.  I had good luck with my Cottage Farm plants last year, but the fact these plants seems so much smaller this year has me a bit worried. 

Janet in Georgia
Respected Contributor

I planted Cottage Farm tomato plants last year and the yield was 2 whole tomatoes Lol...so this year I purchased heirloom seeds from another company and planted those. I hope you have good success with your plants.

Honored Contributor

This year I used the new Miracle Gro organic soil, my plants look very good.

I purchased them locally.

I also feed my plants regularly.

About every 3 days to make flowers then once a week once the tomatoes appear.

@GeorgiaJanet wrote:

Has anyone planted tomato plants from QVC?  I bought some Cottage Farms Chef's Delight Heirloom Tomatoes....4 little plants I've had in my windowsill since mid April.  I finally got them planted outside in plastic pots this morning after my yard had its spring clean-up. Still need to put some tomato cages in each pot.    I don't remember the plants being as tiny last year when I planted them.  Hope I have good luck this year.  I love home-grown, heirloom tomatoes!!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I buy all of my plants from a local nursery. Their selection is large and I like to see what I'm buying and choose what I want. Hopefully your tomato plants will take off now!

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't done tomatoes, but hydrangeas, roses, and butterfly weed - they've done well.

Every year is different because of weather mostly.  Given the right conditions I'm sure your heirlooms will do great.

Cogito ergo sum
Frequent Contributor

Re: Tomatoes Anyone?

[ Edited ]

I was concerned about the plants being so much smaller this year than the ones I bought last year.  They were tiny this year!  I seem to only have about 2 tomatoes on each plant so far and they are still green.  I can't tell if I really have any heirloom ones like I did last year, even though that is what I bought.  We'll see what these green ones turn into.   Hope your work out. 

"Has anyone planted tomato plants from QVC?  I bought some Cottage Farms Chef's Delight Heirloom Tomatoes....4 little plants I've had in my windowsill since mid April.  I finally got them planted outside in plastic pots this morning after my yard had its spring clean-up. Still need to put some tomato cages in each pot.    I don't remember the plants being as tiny last year when I planted them.  Hope I have good luck this year.  I love home-grown, heirloom tomatoes!!"

Janet in Georgia
Contributor

I ordered Roberta's vegetalis six piece assortment of tomatoes and cucumbers.  The plants that arrived were very healthy.  They have grown beautifully, and all are loaded with fruit.  Now if we we could only get some consistant ripening weather.  If they all mature and ripen we will have enough tomatoes and cucumbers to share with the neighbors.