Contributor

This is an article from our daily newspaper about tomatoes. It is specifically about curly leaf fungus and early blight

https://www.alamogordonews.com/story/opinion/columnists/2020/06/29/tomato-problems-could-early-bligh...

Super Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Let me say up front I am not a gardener.  Bad soil and deer have limited my growing to potted tomato plants and a few herbs.

Having said that, this year's crop of potted tomato plants is a big disappointment.

I have planted veggie gardens all my life and this year is a bust for me also. Animals have destroyed our beans and peppers and now they are trying to eat the greens off of the tomatoes. I suspect it is the weather. Way to hot and not enough rain for them to find anything so they go for gardens.

Even if the animals were not eating everything, I still think it is the weather. Our tomatoes are few and far between, too hot and dry, and tap water is no substitute for good old rain. I even had to pull our marigolds, they just shriveled up and died. Our poor lawn is like walking on cement. Good thing we have an excellent farmers market close by.

Respected Contributor

I live in the Southeast for 4 years now.  Every year since we moved here, we planted tomatoe plants.  Beef steaks and cherry tomatoes.  We had one excellent year, one fair year and the last two not so great with this year being the worst.  We thought it was going well.  When first planted, they sprouted up so well and looked so lush but few tomatoes and the ones we can pick seem to stay a little green on top and we get brown spots all over them.  It's not just us, our neighbor is having the same problems.  

Respected Contributor

I buy a few $1. bottles of powdered cayenne at the start of growing season and sprinkle on the growing tomatoes --wet a bit or after rain so it will stick. When I remember to renew , especially after a rain (when it is washed off) I frequently have a tomato ripen without it being squirrel bitten. 

Respected Contributor

I've been gardening a looong time and this is by far the worst year for tomatoes I've ever had. Not many fruits on plants and the ones there are small, green and not getting red while the plants are going yellow. All my gardening neighbors are having the same problems. A bust year for maters.

Esteemed Contributor

We are getting a few tomatoes....enough for us, but the cucumbers were a bust....

We planted flowers in half of the garden this year and cut down on how many veggies we plant.

We used to pass around extra tomatoes , cucumbers and zucchini to friends and neighbors who wanted some. Very few even thanked us over the years and it was alot of work keeping up a large garden.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks to all who responded that they weren't having a great gardening year either.

At least I don't feel likeI personally killed them.

Last year, I had tomatoes into September...and they were very flavorful.  Right now, any tomato still on the withered vines has split skin, so not great.

Oh, well...on the positive side, my basil and mint turned into small shrubs so I had that.

Hopefully, next year will be better!  My season is done for now.