Honored Contributor

The lady who was supposed to come out and give me an estimate of rebuilding a bed in the back yard called and rescheduled for tomorrow, so I took advantage of the free time to go to Lowes and Home Depot to pick up some plants.  Here's my haul.

Mostly they're for filling in bare spots in my front pollinator garden.  I plan to try and divide the torenia (purple & white plant on the right) into two plants and put the sweet potato vine between them in the planter with a pair of natural clematis to help shade the roots.

The yellow hummingbird mint I'll put in a container since I don't want it spreading.  Anything with mint in it's name has a good chance of trying to take over. 

The Jacob's ladder (variegted foliage) will go somewhere in the back where there's shade, possibly in that bed that I want to have re-done.  

Other plants in the pic are Angelonia (purple, back left), Rudbeckia (back right), and a trio of zinnias (next to the torenia).

10 JUN 2024 Plant Purchases.jpg

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess , we went nursery shopping Saturday.  We were at a Rhodo nursery.  I came home with five and some miscellaneous plants.  They are all in the ground now.

We visited the six year old garden of a friend who runs the horticultural program at a local college.  It was breathtaking!  He moved all mature shrubs from his previous home.  He has six acres...and a tractor.  Now I want a tractor!

Love the additions to your pollinator garden!

I no longer post pics since it changed vis a vis size requirements.

Honored Contributor

Angelonias are great plants. I highly recommend them for anyone growing annuals. They're a bit of a pain to start from seed, but great plants once started.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 I don't have the land for a tractor.  Not even enough for DH to justify a riding lawn mower, LOL.  Wish I did though.

As far as pictures go, I have to re-size any I download from my phone.  I open it up in Preview which is Mac's default picture app.  Then, I choose the area I want. It could be the entire photo if I wanted; I just can't adjust the size in the original.  Copy to clipboard and then paste to a new picture.  Select Save and when the dialog box comes up, change the file size number to something under 1.5M and enter a filename to save it as.  Hope this helps.

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@Icegoddess , we went nursery shopping Saturday.  We were at a Rhodo nursery.  I came home with five and some miscellaneous plants.  They are all in the ground now.

We visited the six year old garden of a friend who runs the horticultural program at a local college.  It was breathtaking!  He moved all mature shrubs from his previous home.  He has six acres...and a tractor.  Now I want a tractor!

Love the additions to your pollinator garden!

I no longer post pics since it changed vis a vis size requirements.

Tractors become one of those bottomless money pits, as once you get the tractor then you'll want accessories for the tractor. A backhoe attachment would be nice. Maybe add a bucket. Oh, a tiller attachment would be handy. A posthole auger too. Forks for handling pallets could be handy. A dump trailer to haul mulch around could be good. A mulcher/chipper attachment would make cleanup much easier. There's a never-ending list of extra stuff you'll want to add to a tractor if you get a tractor. Buying the tractor is often the cheapest part.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman , yes I believe you!  No tractor in my future.  

We are enjoying the beautiful start to summer...sunny this week, temps in the 70's, light winds.  Great gardening weather.

Honored Contributor

We've had an absurdly mild spring so far here in NJ. Temps have been in the seventies to low-mid eighties. Not a day even close to ninety yet. Lots of rain, so no real drought threat. Pretty much a perfect spring so far. We're supposed to hit a stretch of ninety-degree days this coming week, but it's mid-June so that's to be expected.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Those are stunning!!!❤️❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

@gardenman, that makes me think of a Kitchnaid Mixer.  All those attachments, LOL.