Honored Contributor

@ECBG @AndreaTooDaughter  Thought you might enjoy pics of today's finds in my garden, but also thought I shoiuld put them in the correct forum.  

This is Hosta Designer Genes.  It's my first one fully up this year.

Hosta Designer Genes.jpg

Bluebells

Bluebells.jpg

Solomon's Seal

Solomon's Seal 2020.jpg

And this is the Periwinkle I'm concerned may take over.  It's getting close to the Solomon's Seal, but so far it has been easy to control since it sends out long runners that are easy to cut off or dig up when they root.

Periwinkle.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: Today's Gardening Treasures

@Icegoddess Is that hosta?  If it is I can (probably, hope, hope) do it!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG yes, I put the name of each plant above the pic.  The top one is Hosta Designer Genes.  All of the plants shown are for shade.  My entire back yard is mostly shade.  None of the other hostas are fullly up yet.  Drinking Gourd is up, but hasn't yet unfurled.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@ECBG yes, I put the name of each plant above the pic.  The top one is Hosta Designer Genes.  All of the plants shown are for shade.  My entire back yard is mostly shade.  None of the other hostas are fullly up yet.  Drinking Gourd is up, but hasn't yet unfurled.

@Icegoddess Thank you.  Lovely.  I'll ask the local shop if they have any after this "mess"!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Icegoddess Thank you.  Lovely.  I'll ask the local shop if they have any after this "mess"!

@ECBG we have a local Hosta club that does a sale every year.  The prices are not bargain, but there's a good selection that I can't find at my local nursery.  I don't buy from the big box stores because of the threat of HVX, a virus that scares me more than Covid 19.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess , how nice to see some green, especially after yesterday's snowstorm 🙄.  I am sitting by the woodstove this morning relaxing which is nice but am anxious to get into the garden season.

What zone are you in?  I am in 5 and have a fair amount of shade as well.  One of my favorite perennial plants is Japanese forest grass, either all gold or variegated.  Your beautiful hosta reminded me of it.  Great colour for shade.  Would it work for you?  Bottom left of photo.  LM

F892E8E2-0D21-43C2-8A28-336933B54142.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Yesterday, I pulled up some BLOOMING dandelions from a neighbor's front yard................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

You must be in a warmer zone than I am.  No hosta 'fingers' here yet - and I've been checking every day!   Love your pix - thanks.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Icegoddess , how nice to see some green, especially after yesterday's snowstorm 🙄.  I am sitting by the woodstove this morning relaxing which is nice but am anxious to get into the garden season.

What zone are you in?  I am in 5 and have a fair amount of shade as well.  One of my favorite perennial plants is Japanese forest grass, either all gold or variegated.  Your beautiful hosta reminded me of it.  Great colour for shade.  Would it work for you?  Bottom left of photo.  LM

F892E8E2-0D21-43C2-8A28-336933B54142.jpeg

@Lilysmom I'm in zone 7B.  It got above 80 yesterday.  I have tried the forest grass with no luck.  May have more to do with the dirt in my rock garden where I wanted to plant it for a dry riverbed than the zone.  I have very rock clay soil.  In fact, my next door neighbor's backyard is nothing but big boulders, so I guess I'm lucky to just have to deal with rocks and can plant something.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess , much warmer than me.  Wow, 80 degrees is awhile away for us.  

I get what you say about the boulders and clay soil.  I have a rock wall with earth deposited by Mother Nature over time.  It takes a certain kind of plant to thrive there.

One technique I have used with success in this kind of environment is to dig out a hollow between the boulders, line with landscaping cloth, add good soil and plant.  As long as the perennials don't require deep rooting, this works well.

I have squirrels that love to tunnel in between the boulders and play along the rock wall.  They can damage the perennials as well when they get digging at their root systems.

W had snow yesterday but it won't last long.  Our weather is unsettled for the next week.  LM