Honored Contributor

Re: Today's Gardening Treasures

so nice to see some spring pics here. It is still too wet and mushy in my yard to do much and is only in the 40's; should be 10* more than that. I did manage to give my ferns a hair cut last weekend but have so much to do still. Was moved out of my house last summer due to major re con on the house and boy did mother earth take over my yard--but got lilies poking thru the dirt---always a good sign.

Honored Contributor

Re: Today's Gardening Treasures

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Icegoddess , much warmer than me.  Wow, 80 degrees is awhile away for us.  

I get what you say about the boulders and clay soil.  I have a rock wall with earth deposited by Mother Nature over time.  It takes a certain kind of plant to thrive there.

One technique I have used with success in this kind of environment is to dig out a hollow between the boulders, line with landscaping cloth, add good soil and plant.  As long as the perennials don't require deep rooting, this works well.

I have squirrels that love to tunnel in between the boulders and play along the rock wall.  They can damage the perennials as well when they get digging at their root systems.

W had snow yesterday but it won't last long.  Our weather is unsettled for the next week.  LM

@Lilysmom, if you have trouble with squirrels, try chipmunks.  Those cute little buggers cause a lot of damage.