New Contributor

I ordered Cottage farms Sedum tile on March 26, and was given delivery date of 04/17. I checked my order today and says it is "backordered" and "no longer available" Chat help told me they are working hard to fill orders. OK, but why take my order weeks ago . just frustrated because I was anxious to get them.. really hope to see my sedum

Honored Contributor

Re: To Sedum or not to sedum

[ Edited ]

@winesipper wrote:

I ordered Cottage farms Sedum tile on March 26, and was given delivery date of 04/17. I checked my order today and says it is "backordered" and "no longer available" Chat help told me they are working hard to fill orders. OK, but why take my order weeks ago . just frustrated because I was anxious to get them.. really hope to see my sedum

Two things I do not know:  Your zone and whether or not you have ever planted or grown sedum.  Sedum can be planted just about any time within the next few months and still grow and do well without fear of cold weather.  Sedum will do much better in a somewhat raised bed or a berm.  Amend soil.  Plant.  You can divide it.  Most sedum multiplies like rabbits.  The reason I suggested raised beds is that if you are in a wet climate, they need drainage.  They don't require a great deal of water but still  they need water.  They do best in full sun.  I would not worry about not having received them right now.  Even in my rather warmish zone, I would not plant sedum right now.  We always have that fear of a freeze with thunder snow this time of year, so I like to wait until after Easter to plant any tender plants.

Do remember that the first year, however, many plants sleep (but not so much sedum) and the second year they creep and the third they leap.  So just make sure you are aware of that.

Honored Contributor

It's too early to plant here also. We wait until May before we plant anything. We have had freezes in April.

Respected Contributor

@winesipper   Don't dispair.  I purchased sedum tile which was offered by Robert's on the Q about three years ago.   A few weeks after I got my order I saw them being offered at one of the big box stores' garden center.  May be you might see them offered elsewhere.  As @Nightowlz said sedum is pretty forgiving, and can be planted almost anytime of the year.  Just follow growing guide the comes with the plant.

Esteemed Contributor

I love sedum.  Only problem is they are very invasive.

Regular Visitor

I have seen and purchased sedum through the Q and at a big box . The big box variety was comparable to the Q and less expensive ! Good luck and happy gardening .
New Contributor

Thanks everyone for helpful hints and first hand knowledge on growing these plants I have an old fashioned wagon wheel and was planning on planting these in between spokes.. I will remember draining advice (:0)