Honored Contributor

I have a new smaller chainsaw that is battery powered.  I bought to cut up smaller branches that I pruned etc around the yard.  Not for cutting down trees or the like. 

I have never used a chainsaw.  Of course I will wear eye protection and ear protection. But as long as I hold on to it securely, should I be fine with using it? Is there anything I need to know about how  chainsaws work... kicking back or the like?

I have a hedge  trimmer that I use just fine all around the yard. I have no problems using that.  Will it be a similar type of experience?

Honored Contributor

Re: Tips on using a chainsaw

If it is a REAL chainsaw, yes you need to know things about running it.  FOR sure!  Call your state ag extension officer in your county and ask about it, or someone you know.

Also, many Southern Baptist Churches have old guys in teams that go around after storms with chain saws and help people clean up.  Contact a local church and see if one is near you.  They would be delighted to see what you have and help you learn to use it safely.  

We have a small chainsaw that I have used a lot, but I am always mindful and careful when I use it.  BUT I grew up around chainsaws of all sizes.

Be careful!!!! OK????

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  OK.  Thank-you for taking the time to let me know I should have someone who knows chainsaws to show me first.  I was a bit scared to start it up.

Respected Contributor

I have a Greenworks electric chainsaw - it came as part of a pole saw but was just too heavy to lift - took the chainsaw end off and I can't tell you how many uses I have gotten out of it.  My chain has gotten stuck in wood - if this happens - unplug (or in your case take battery out) before trying to remove it.  Once you start cutting, you can't slow down or stop half way - it will tear your chain apart or it will get stuck.  I kind of move mine back and forth across the wood, not holding it in one place unless it is a small branch.  If you have to replace the chain, make sure again it is unplugged or battery out.  I am mastering replacing the chain on it as I have gotten it caught in wood a couple of times.  Once replaced because it was dull and just not cutting anymore.  Make sure you are out of the way of an limb you are cutting - you don't want it to come down in your face.  This definitely can be dangerous if you don't use it properly. 

Respected Contributor

I'm 66 & have 3/4 acres of woods that I take care of myself. The chainsaw I use is a 40v battery with a 14" blade, it's very easy to use. Always wear eye protection, gloves & pay attention to what you're doing. Make sure you read the instructions, it will have diagrams of the proper ways to cut to avoid problems & kickback. Start small until you get the hang of it & feel confident. I never use the chainsaw on a ladder, I have a polesaw & if that won't get the job done then I call a professional. Know your limits, use common sense & you'll be fine.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have a new smaller chainsaw that is battery powered.  I bought to cut up smaller branches that I pruned etc around the yard.  Not for cutting down trees or the like. 

I have never used a chainsaw.  Of course I will wear eye protection and ear protection. But as long as I hold on to it securely, should I be fine with using it? Is there anything I need to know about how  chainsaws work... kicking back or the like?

I have a hedge  trimmer that I use just fine all around the yard. I have no problems using that.  Will it be a similar type of experience?

Go on your search browser and look up YouTube.com.

Then on YouTube'so search type in the brand and model name or number of your saw. Most companies have how-to videos. Look for the manufacturer 'so videos first or if they dont exist search for "reviews" of that item

I ADORE YouTube . I do this before I buy something or after I buy something even. I can spend Hours on YouTube watching demos and reviews of the craziest stuff.

Honored Contributor

thank you everyone for all the great suggestions!  I am glad I came here and asked your opinion! Just can not wait to get out there and use my new "yard thing"🤗  But safety comes first!

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden, be very careful.  @kitcat51 gave you some great advice.  DH does this on our large wooded lot.  He wears all the protective gear you can buy...steel toed shoes, safety pants, goggles, hard hat.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@SeaMaiden, be very careful.  @kitcat51 gave you some great advice.  DH does this on our large wooded lot.  He wears all the protective gear you can buy...steel toed shoes, safety pants, goggles, hard hat.  LM

@Lilysmom  Sounds like preparation for combat...now you are scaring me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You definitely need to be inserviced on using a chainsaw.   It's a given that you protect your ears, eyes, hands, and feet; my family wears steel toed boots when using a chainsaw.   Also, the saw needs to be checked, and used by someone familiar with chainsaw use, prior to you using it.   .

Particularly you need to know the capability of your saw, and never try to cut anything bigger.  Even a battery powered saw is powerful enough to create unsafe situations.   Before you start using the saw, know how to deal with situations when the bar of the saw stalls, or hangs up in the wood you are cutting, or what to do if the chain comes off.   

Years and years ago, 2 different neighbor women suffered traumatic wounds to their breasts by a chainsaw; one injury was due to a kick back, and the other injury sustained by a loose chain.  I actually saw one of those wounds, and have never forgotten that mangled breast with over 100 stitches.  

Be safe!