Valued Contributor

Tips for growing roses indoors

My husband got me some roses a couple of weeks ago and after a few days the flowers dried out. I was gonna toss them but noticed little leaves sprouting out from the stems. The stems look strong so i didnt have the heart to throw them away. So, I cut off the dried top flower part and have the stems in water for now. Wondering if anyone has any good tips on growing them indoors.  

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Tips for growing roses indoors

I've been waiting for a poster to reply to your question.  With my limited rose knowledge - don't believe a new rose plant can be started by putting cut flower stem in water.  You need a root system.  Some plants (wandering jew plant for instance) can be propagated by putting a 'living' stem in water and it will produce it's own root.  However roses just don't work that way.  Anxious for a gardener to jump in and help you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

I've been waiting for a poster to reply to your question.  With my limited rose knowledge - don't believe a new rose plant can be started by putting cut flower stem in water.  You need a root system.  Some plants (wandering jew plant for instance) can be propagated by putting a 'living' stem in water and it will produce it's own root.  However roses just don't work that way.  Anxious for a gardener to jump in and help you.

@fthunt    It is very dodgy to root roses indoors.  They can be rooted outdoors from a single stem (many failures equal a possible success).  They need to be dipped in rooting powder, several different things including a solution made from (the stuff used in animal crates, which name I cannot recall), rolls made from alfalfa, some people have success rooting with aspirin powder and birth control pills chopped up.  These are, however, (aspirin and birth control pills) better utilized as a watering solution where the aspirin or BCP is dissolved in 2-gallon containers of water and used to water the plants through the rooting time which is quite long.  It needs to be done outside or in greenhouses.  Outside, I have rooted many but I have been doing it for years.  I root mine underneath a very large climbing roses that has tendrils reaching to the grown, forming a skirt of sorts and I place the containers under that.  They get enough warmth and enough shade.  I keep them watered.  If the weather is cloudy, I pull the tenderils (or rather canes) back so that the sun may reach them.  One has to pretty much baby sit roses to root them unless one is very, very lucky.

If you plan to root your roses indoors, you will need to get a rooting medium, you will need a bright sunshiny place during the cold weather.  You should be prepared to move it immediately outdoors when it is ready to transplant or to a greenhouse.  You can make your own greenhouse.  It does not have to be large or professional.  There are plenty of instructions on youTube about ways to improvise.  In cold weather, it will need a lot of protection.

Trusted Contributor

Absent a greenhouse, a cloche in a sunnywindow with all the things that @Nonametoday has mentioned in her post.  It takes a long time for them to root, though, and at least two leaf nodes must be dipped in the rooting powder.

Honored Contributor

Almost all roses are grafted to a sturdy but unattractive rootstock.  It seems to me that what you'd get if rooted would be the rootstock plant which is probably not something you'd want.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment