Super Contributor

Tips for growing pepper in pots

I planted some last year, nothing. I planted again, any tips ?

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Tips for growing pepper in pots

Whenever we grow any kind of peppers in a pot, we use a deep flower pot or a 5 gallon bucket, dig a deep hole and put the plant in up to the first set of leaves. When the plant grows to a nice size, we start pinching the growth back to encourage a bushier plant and formation of peppers. We use Miracle Gro twice a week, and make sure the plants have adequate water if Mother Nature is not providing it. We also use a stake or tower for support as the pepper grows, and usually have gigantic plants, but again we never just let the plant grow without the needed pinching back so that it grows the way we want it.

Super Contributor

Re: Tips for growing pepper in pots

On 6/8/2014 RedTop said:

Whenever we grow any kind of peppers in a pot, we use a deep flower pot or a 5 gallon bucket, dig a deep hole and put the plant in up to the first set of leaves. When the plant grows to a nice size, we start pinching the growth back to encourage a bushier plant and formation of peppers. We use Miracle Gro twice a week, and make sure the plants have adequate water if Mother Nature is not providing it. We also use a stake or tower for support as the pepper grows, and usually have gigantic plants, but again we never just let the plant grow without the needed pinching back so that it grows the way we want it.

Thanks RedTop !

I did put in a big pot, but planted where the square soil is. I will pinch, didn't do that last year. Mine lost the white flowers, soon after they appeared. I will use Miracle Gro.