Honored Contributor

Time to Buy Flowers for my Deck

I will definitely have a hanging basket.  I purchased a new rattan one with a plastic lining.  I plant different flowers and vines in it.  This year my main color will be orange (Impatiens) which I will mix with white, deep pink and vines.  I plan on buying orange geraniums for a change.  I don't plant as much as I use to but it still looks good.  I love Impatiens.  I wish I had a garden like a lot of you ladies but my deck will do.  How about you?  Planting your summer flowers yet?

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Re: Time to Buy Flowers for my Deck

That sounds like an amazing color scheme of flowers plus orange is one of my favorite colors. I have prepped the soil but the weather turned nasty (rain and then cold spell) the last couple of days so I will attempt to finish this week. I did plant my miniature roses and actually saw a bloom yesterday. My hibiscus are springing up really fast. 

Frequent Contributor

My son gave me a hanging basket of red geraniums for Mothers Day so I am all set. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Waiting until it warms up a little bit more.

Like you, I enjoy picking a dominant color theme different from the year before.

I've had great luck buying flowers from our local Jewel.

Honored Contributor

I'm nearly finished now. Just bought sixteen begonias and sixteen impatiens yesterday. Still have some homegrown marigolds and dahlberg daisies to pot up. I'm probably ninety percent of the way done now. I was using Jiffy 7's for much of my seed starting this year and sadly they did a very poor job. Some impatiens seedlings started in early February are still only a quarter inch to a half inch tall. I had near total failure on the impatiens, salvias, and dahlbergs planted in them. That cost me nearly 144 plants I should have had. I'll stock up on seed starting mix for next year and go back to using recycled six packs to start my seeds. I've used Jiffy 7's before with good success, but something was off with them this year. Most seeds didn't germinate at all, and those that did, struggled to grow. I suspect they may have gotten too close to Preen or a similar material at some point in storage, shipping, or handling before getting to me.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

My Sunpatiens are coming along nicely in pots on our front walk, as are the petunias on our front railing. I need to get my basil planted and fertilize my mint, parsley and thyme that have over-wintered well. That’s as much gardening as I’m able to do, but it brightens our house up very nicely.

Honored Contributor

I stopped buying annuals when my shrubs filled in at the borders of our foundation areas. I have already planted my veggie garden. 

I like using summer blooming perennials (plant once & forget about it).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

I stopped buying annuals when my shrubs filled in at the borders of our foundation areas. I have already planted my veggie garden. 

I like using summer blooming perennials (plant once & forget about it).

@JustJazzmom   I only plant perennials, low care and don't have to do much to have a wonderful display year after year.  Eventually, they have to be divided, but only if the bloom has diminished.

I have hostas, ferns, begonias, and in the sunny part Pelargoniums, the flowers for color, and the greens to make me feel cooler on hot days, lol, anything for that.

The rest of the garden is also perennials.  The only annuals I will every buy are reseeders, and this has worked well.

Esteemed Contributor

I just went out today and bought flowers for the long baskets attached to the redwood fence around our patio. I love to buy a variety of plants and colors. The ground planting area around the inside of the fence is all hostas and other mostly green perennials, so I love planting a lot of color in my fence baskets, hanging baskets and pots around the patio. It's a joy to finally have some dry weather with warmer temps. My patio is my haven in the summer!

Now if I could just keep those squirrels out of everything! We seem to have a squirrel convention every day since we have a big container of shelled corn for the deer that live in the woods behind us. It's a constant battle!

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl  That's where I bought my flowers today at Jewel.  Prices are very reasonable.  I bought magenta petunias, coral and white Impatiens, sweet potato vine in light green and the deep green/purp, some ivy and some other vines.  I will buy my orange geraniums at Wannemakers in Downers Grove.  Wannemakers has the most beautiful geraniums.

kindness is strength