Honored Contributor

@JGalt wrote:

Opposum are great tick eaters. My neighbor kills them, but while I do not find opossum very cute, I want critters around that keep down insect populations.  Did you know opossum are marsupials? I learned that only recently and thinking about those babies tucked in mama's pouch makes me feel more kindly to opossums.

They are the only known North American marsupials.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

We are surrounded by trees, and used to see ticks on our front porch railing quite often.   Since we started monthly spraying by an exterminator, we have not seen even one tick on the porch.   We treat our dogs year round, and also spray around the property.  

Deer, squirrel and rabbits are big carriers for ticks, so if you have these or other animals like fox, possums and raccoons in your yard, they are bringing the woods right to your doorstep.   

Honored Contributor

I use this, it works for several months from 1 spraying.Bayer Complete Insect Killer

"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

I just read that possums erradicate ticks in huge numbers. if you have them, be nice to them.

Valued Contributor

Yet Doctors in NE will swear there is no Lyme here. They keep saying oh no, we dont have those ticks in NE. Pretty naive to think they can moniter and control it that much. testing for Lyme is very tricky too, many false negatives etc, sounds like a huge PIA.

Honored Contributor

Doctors that specialize in Lyme disease say here there are waiting lists to be seen by them because of the outbreaks. I live in the NE.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

I believe it totally. Personally Lyme is so nasty I do not want to know for sure. I have many symptoms but I am not going to go there so to speak because a) if I have it it is too late anyway. b) going wholistic is not compatable with medical system.

Contributor

I agree!  Good stuff.