Esteemed Contributor

Do you spray for ticks in your yard?  I do the perimeter once in the spring but am thinking on doing another spray since the ticks are so bad.  I hate using a pesticide though.   I've used organic where I walk in the past but now I'm just spraying the wood line.

Respected Contributor

I have dogs, I don't spray anywhere. 

Honored Contributor

Here in maine ,the ticks are the worse i have seen in many years, i have tick collars on two of my dogs,the other one is just too old ,scared to put one on him,i have homemade spray i use.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

It's a worry with dogs, that's why I went organic.  I don't let them near the wood line though and that's a hotspot for ticks.  I think I will get it sprayed one more time.  I hate the pesticides though.  

I use frontline for ticks on dogs and it does cause them to drop off but then they want to land on me.

Honored Contributor

Mild winter in NE made tick population go sky high. If your community allows you to have chickens, get some as they eat them, besides other insects.

Any tick borne illness is serious stuff! Testing should be done ASAP if you suspect it and you have gone into a tick infested area. Always wear protective clothing and use products containing DEET on yourself to keep them repelled.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

It's a really bad year for ticks here in the midwest. The winter wasn't cold enough to kill off the population. I was finding them on my dogs already in March.

Frequent Contributor

Look into diatomaceous earth food grade... that is your best bet!

Respected Contributor

its really bad this year.  they are all over the yard and we never got them on the yard, just in the woods.

one day it was a tiny lonestar tick crawling under my shirt. i had been on a wooded trail that day. the other bites i got were as i was just watering the flowers

Respected Contributor

We get our Silky Terriers shaved down with Summer haircuts and give them a real good pat down at night, from top to stubby tail, to feel for the buggers. Hate'em! Also use Avon's Skin So Soft bath oil (use in a spray bottle mixed with water) to repel ticks and bugs and blood suckers of all kinds on dogs and horse.....cats refuses anything to do wiith this insulting treatment.

Valued Contributor

Opposum are great tick eaters. My neighbor kills them, but while I do not find opossum very cute, I want critters around that keep down insect populations.  Did you know opossum are marsupials? I learned that only recently and thinking about those babies tucked in mama's pouch makes me feel more kindly to opossums.