Honored Contributor

Re: This is Why I Order Plants From

@Icegoddess wrote:

@mousiegirl I wasn't complaining about the condition of the plants I received.  If you compare it to anything I have received from Robertas or Cottage Farms recently these are beautiful.  I expect them to be dry and need watering after the transit.  They're a bit pricey, but good plants.

@Icegoddess  I didn't think you were complaining. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I ordered from Bluestone Perennials last year and was very impressed with their shipping.

Although I knew the plants would be small upon arrival, I have to admit that I was disappointed in how tiny they were when I actually received them.  I felt the plants should have been bigger for the price I paid (with shipping!).

I spent almost $300 on that order last year and I was disappointed in the growth of the plants over the summer.  I planted some of the items in those pots they came in and they died.  Bluestone did replace them though. I removed the pots before planting the second time around and most survived.

I kind of wrote them off for this year because I felt they didn't grow as expected and the prices were just too high for the quality.  However, to my surprise, the plants from last year really took off this year!  The hydrangreas have practically quadrupled in size, my daylilies look like I have had them for years, and my geraniums are small, but thriving.  The only major disappointment I had from them was the campanula.  I had ordered 3 sets (got those replaced last year) and only one has survived.  It's supposed to be blooming already and it's not, so I'm assuming it's a loss at this point.

I would consider buying from them again next year now that I know what to expect.  The size they ship their plants in (and the high price) is still a consideration, but if they thrive, it's worth it in the end.

Honored Contributor

@Grade1Teach  Just remember that perennials take time to reach their expected height & width. Here's a cute saying:

1st year sleep

2nd year creep

3rd year leap

I have a few Hakone grass & Tricyrtis from them & this is year 2 in the ground. They are still on the smallish side but when compared to more established ones I have, I would say they are medium-ish? 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I received my 2 perennial hibiscus plants from Barbara King about a month ago and I thought why ship them so early. I planted them anyway and put straw around the pots. They are now turning green and spouting so I think they might work! I hope they do!

Esteemed Contributor

I ordered from Bluestone 3 years in a row and got beautiful plants that grew like crazy.  Then, one year every plant I received from them arrived dead and I had difficulty getting replacements.  The replacements arrived dead also and customer service wouldn't replace a second time.  I haven't ordered from Bluestone since then.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt