Honored Contributor

This is Why I Order Plants From

Bluestone Perennials.  My plants just arrived.  Even though they were backed up like everybody else and my order was not expected until at least another week, I got a notice 2 days ago that it had shipped.  This is what it looked like when I opened the box.

Bluestone Order.jpg

Of course they are a bit dry, so I watered and put them outside in a large saucer with a little water in the bottom.  I have gotten plants from them in a bit worse shape, but still had good results in my garden.

Bluestone Plants.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: This is Why I Order Plants From

They look 100% better than what I received .... DOA.  What a huge disappointment.  First I was told they were on back order, then they could not fill the order.  Now I received six dead plants.  My husband said to plant them anyway but I feel I wasted my time.  He says "they'll come back."  Oh, OK.  

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 these were not from any of the shopping channel vendors.  I haven't had any luck with them in years.  I did get some healthy replacement plants from Robertas a year later, but they were NOTHING like I ordered, not even meant for the same conditions, and looked exactly like some weeds that grow in my yard.

Honored Contributor

I will check their onlite site.  Thanks.

Respected Contributor

What are these plants?

Honored Contributor

I've used Bluestone Perennials for years and swear by them. They even ship     in September when many mailorder nurseries are starting to close down for the season. Their plants are smaller but healthy, and they stand by their plants. They ship in a natural coir pot, which I remove. Bluestone says you can plant directly into the ground & the coir disintegrates over time. I did that 1 year & lost the plant. When I have gotten plants from them, I cut away the coir & plant directly. Their online catalog is extensive. 

Is that epimedium? @Icegoddess 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@50Mickey @JustJazzmom, no epimedium although I do have some in my garden that struggles because the dirt where it is planted is really bad. 

Agastache Kudos Ambrsia which has orange/rose flowers.  Hummingbirds like agastache.

Chrysogonum Pierre which is a ground cover with yellow flowers.  I have a spot in front of a tree lilac that needs something, but it has to be very low growing because there's a sprinkler head in tha corner.  

Salvia Pretty in Pink - a perennial salvia

Clematis Samaritan Jo- a type that doesn't need to be pruned and doesn't need full sun.

Adenophora Amethyst aka Ladybells which gets kinda tall 30-36" and has spikes of bell-shaped flowers.  

I was going to get a Buddleia Prince Charming which is a dwarf Buddleia with dark pink flowers, but they were sold out.  Seems they are sold out everywhere.  I even almost succumed to the Leaf & Petal ones until I read the reviews about how poor a condition they arrived in.  

I'll probably cut away the coir too.  The agastache I bought last year and planted with the coir didn't come back.  But, that also could be due to the extensive rains we had all winter.

Esteemed Contributor

My friends who don't garden have given me dead plants their bosses have given them for Admin Day. I bring them home and with a little love, they are back and beautiful.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

Bluestone Perennials.  My plants just arrived.  Even though they were backed up like everybody else and my order was not expected until at least another week, I got a notice 2 days ago that it had shipped.  This is what it looked like when I opened the box.

Bluestone Order.jpg

Of course they are a bit dry, so I watered and put them outside in a large saucer with a little water in the bottom.  I have gotten plants from them in a bit worse shape, but still had good results in my garden.

Bluestone Plants.jpg

@Icegoddess   I have bought tons of plants from Bluestone, but I admit that they are much smaller than plants I get from Digging Dog and Annie's Annuals, also sells perennials.  Your plants look fine and once they are planted or put into pots, will get going in growth.

Bluestone does have good customer service, will replace any plants that died within a resonable amount of time.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl I wasn't complaining about the condition of the plants I received.  If you compare it to anything I have received from Robertas or Cottage Farms recently these are beautiful.  I expect them to be dry and need watering after the transit.  They're a bit pricey, but good plants.