Super Contributor

Re: They win, no garden this year

When we first moved into our home 25 years ago, I was so excited about the yard! I planted hundreds of bulbs! Spend HOURS planting those bulbs...AND....every bulb the squirrels dug up and took! I was so mad! That was the last time I ever planted bulbs. What I am saying is, forget the garden,just buy your vegetables at the store....sometimes you can not fight Mother Nature, you just let it go!
Respected Contributor

What type of fence are you using, how high is it?

We have 5' field fencing and the deer have not come in the backyard at all. I have seem them jump over the 4' fencing easily. We don't have any veggies planted but we do have plants. But we also have plenty of trees and foilage for them to munch on so maybe that's why they no loner go in the back.

Honored Contributor

DO NOT compost deer droppings! The only acceptable animal compost used around here on gardens is cow, horse, and poultry, and it needs to be aged---not fresh.

Honored Contributor

On 5/26/2014 RedTop said:

DO NOT compost deer droppings! The only acceptable animal compost used around here on gardens is cow, horse, and poultry, and it needs to be aged---not fresh.

Aged means at least 6 months. Hot fresh manure can burn plants.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

On 5/26/2014 gazelle77 said: When we first moved into our home 25 years ago, I was so excited about the yard! I planted hundreds of bulbs! Spend HOURS planting those bulbs...AND....every bulb the squirrels dug up and took! I was so mad! That was the last time I ever planted bulbs. What I am saying is, forget the garden,just buy your vegetables at the store....sometimes you can not fight Mother Nature, you just let it go!

Your squirrels came and planted them in my yard. Several times, really nice flowers have shown up and I did not plant them.