Honored Contributor

The ****** Japanese beetles.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, I've seen a few but it's not bad here. Vast expanses of turf are their breeding grounds and that is not the case where I am.

Minor damage I can live with.

Cogito ergo sum
Valued Contributor

Horrible little monsters. They destroyed my basil in less than a day and are now working on my spearmint. Both plants were in pots. Any idea how to get rid of them?

Honored Contributor

@Jasmine19 wrote:

Horrible little monsters. They destroyed my basil in less than a day and are now working on my spearmint. Both plants were in pots. Any idea how to get rid of them?

Pick them off, wear gloves & toss in plastic bag. Buy a Japanese beetle pherenome attractor & put in the far corner of your yard away from plants being affected.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@Jasmine19 wrote:

Pick them off, wear gloves & toss in plastic bag. Buy a Japanese beetle pherenome attractor & put in the far corner of your yard away from plants being affected.

I read once that the best option is to give all your neighbors Japanese beetle traps with the pheromone attractor so the beetles all go away from you and to them. If your property is surrounded by beetle traps you're pretty safe. Traps in your own garden leads the beetles to your garden where they may stop off for a meal on their way to the trap. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I just googled to see what these things are and one article says plant zonal geraniums. When the Japanese beetle bite the leaves it paralizes them, they lay on their backs twitching their legs which attract birds to eat them or if in the sun they will get dehydrated and die.

Yikes, kind of sounds sadistic but I guess anyway you kill them is!

I dont think we have them up here in the PNW, Ive never seen one.

Honored Contributor

I put down 40 lbs.of milky spore this spring, to kill the grubs,which is what they start out as.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest , when they first arrived, I stripped my garden of Asiatic lilies.  My neighbour, not a gardener, arrived home with a big batch.  I convinced her to pot them up for her deck, not put them in her garden (which was created by the former homeowner).  So far so good.

Gross little buggers!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@goldensrbest , when they first arrived, I stripped my garden of Asiatic lilies.  My neighbour, not a gardener, arrived home with a big batch.  I convinced her to pot them up for her deck, not put them in her garden (which was created by the former homeowner).  So far so good.

Gross little buggers!  LM

Why would potting them up,rather than being in ground ,make a difference of the beetles?

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest , it might not make any but it will isolate them from her other plants.  She will see them right away if/when they come and then can make the decision to remove them daily or pitch the plant.  LM