Honored Contributor

Re: The hydrangeas are blooming🤗

Be careful with the Japanese knotweed, @Lilysmom

http://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/plants-terrestrial/japanese-knotweed/

The hydrangeas look great, ours are finishing now. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Be careful with the Japanese knotweed, @Lilysmom

http://www.invadingspecies.com/invaders/plants-terrestrial/japanese-knotweed/

The hydrangeas look great, ours are finishing now. 

@JustJazzmom, thanks for the info.  I bought the Japanese Knotweed at a reputable local nursery (not that that means much as a lot of them sell invasive plants that are terrible).  When I purchased this, I had a discussion with them about it as the 'knotweed' descriptor had me worried.  

I planted it it on my big evergreen hill.  It has been in the garden about ten years.  I have gotten a few small clumps but it has been quite well behaved overall. For comparative purposes, it does not spread nearly as much as black eyed Susans.  The bees love it.  

We have the invasive bamboo type in Nova Scotia.  This is not the same thing which is what they told me at the nursery.  This plant is not woody.  I have seen the bamboo like plant locally.  It is a curse.  I wonder if my plant was misnamed?  LM

Respected Contributor

I just love your photos, & thank you for telling us what we're looking at. I'm going to add more hydrangeas to my yard. The weather in my area makes most annuals "iffy", & I get very frustrated.

I LOVE Coneflowers....they look so important, & are so pretty. I also love your little sunflowers. Do you have the specific name of that smaller variety?

Heart

Respected Contributor

Forgot to mention your Honeycrisp....YUM!!!! Is it a full-size tree, or a columnar? I'm considering getting some columnar trees this fall. I have a Buckley Giant apple tree, & it's a pain in the behind. It's an excellent cooking/baking apple, but a yucky eating apple. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Your knotweed plant is not the knotweed in the article (leaves differ as does the flower color.)

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spot555, the honeycrisp trees are full size.  The Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia is a huge apple producer.  That is where most of our trees come from.  LM

PS, look for false sunflowers or Heliopolis.  

Re annuals, I have a bit of a love hate relationship with them.  Just about ready to pitch my baskets.  I have been growing marigolds from seed and that works well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

LM. Smiley Happy

I also grow marigolds from seed, & they always excel. This year I have bright yellow French marigolds all around my veggie garden, & I love them. They stay small & produce tons of flowers + they keep certain pests away from my veggies. 

Btw, I live in Slugville, so I have to remember to put the organic bait out. If I forget, they destroy my flowers/veggies. 

Super Contributor

Honeycrisp apples on the tree?! I am SO jealous - they are my favorite! Yum! Thanks for sharing the beauty of your garden - my mom is a huge fan of hydrangeas - so I shared your pics with her! What a beautiful place you have created! 

Esteemed Contributor

I wish my astillbes would bloom later.  Mine are all in the Spring.   I'm going to have to research and see if there are more that I can stagger blooming time, altho I don't know if they like hot weather.  I'm in zone 5.

Esteemed Contributor

@Patriot3, I was going to say you must be in a warmer zone than mine but then I saw you are in 5, like me.

Here is my experience.  I have two big and gorgeous astilbes that bloom June and July.  The flowers are all dried on those now but the foliage is still nice and green.  They are in full sun (one of them) and part shade part sun for the other.

The astilbe in the photo above is in deep shade.  I think that is why it is still blooming.  It blooms later than the others because of placement and light or at least that is my belief!  

Try one in a different setting and see what happens.  LM